Academic Program Coord, Sr
Job Title: Academic Program Coord, Sr
Location: Graduate College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605312
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
***This position is open to current regular, benefit-eligible NAU employees ONLY. (Temporary employees, student workers, variable-hour benefit-eligible employees, and other non-regular employees are not eligible to apply).***
This is a classified staff position which may require work beyond normal hours during high activity times of the year.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position reports directly to the dean of the Graduate College. Academic Program Coordinator, Senior is the primary contact and directly responsible for overseeing and implementing the daily operations related to graduate student funding. This comprises of coordinating processes for awarding graduate assistantships and allocating funding for tuition waiver scholarships. The Academic Program Coordinator, Senior will work closely with Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Comptroller’s office, Human Resources, Campus Health Services, individual academic departments, and students. Responsibilities include making decisions for student eligibility, calculating and entering financial awards in PeopleSoft, notifying departments of allocations, approving allocations, notifying students of awards, regularly informing the dean regarding tuition waiver budget, managing expenditures, and all other functions related to the process. The Academic Program Coordinator, Senior will be expected to work independently, problem solve, have knowledge and implement policies related to graduate student funding, and have superior communication skills. The Program Coordinator should maintain a positive rapport with Graduate College staff, academic departments, student support departments, collaborating faculty, department chairs, and students. Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all phases of graduate student funding process.Demonstrates advanced knowledge of concepts and practices; may be seen as a specialist within the unit. Know policies related to student funding.Ensures program compliance with all applicable university, state, federal, or other laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines. Review student eligibility by evaluating GPA, credit hours enrolled, degree posting, admission status, etc.Ensure financial agreements meet department and Graduate College criteria.Calculate and post awards to student accounts.Manage health insurance options for students.Assess and approve/deny award changes.Notify students of awards.Coordinate all assistantships and scholarships.Oversee Presidential Fellowship Program.Monitor and update the dean regarding funding budget and issues.Acts as main point of contact for program participants and other program stakeholders or constituents, including telephone and email communications; answers questions regarding the program.Manage expenditures.Make decisions regarding late waivers.Provide technical advice and answer questions from department faculty, staff and students.Problem solve issues related to assistantships and tuition waiver scholarships.Prepare financial and summary reports regarding stipends and funding.Complete bi-weekly assistantship payroll reports and evaluate for integrity.Present and orchestrate training workshops for graduate coordinators and students.Act as liaison for students, faculty, staff, and administrative support.Analyze and make recommendations for requests for exceptions to policy.Generate and evaluate reports and queries to ensure compliance, disbursement, payments, residency status, and other criteria related to the integrity of funding and awards.
- Bachelor’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND three years of administrative/coordinative program experience; OR,Six years of progressively responsible administrative coordinative program experience; OR,Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Master’s degree or knowledge of graduate studies.Related university experience and knowledge of assignment.NAU Alumni, experience with PeopleSoft systems or other university related student information systems.Experience with desktop applications such as Microsoft Office, Salesforce, Business Objects, OnBase, and PeopleSoft Financials. Awareness and commitment to NAU’s EEO/Affirmative Action Plan and Safe Working and Learning Environment Goals.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Program coordination and execution.
- Advanced Knowledge of rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures related to program area.
- Advanced Knowledge of budgeting and account reconciliation principles.
- Advanced Knowledge of organizational practices and principles. Demonstrated superior communication skills – oral, written, phone, email, and in-person.Analytical and problem solving skills related to financials.Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.Computer literacy with desktop applications such as Microsoft Office experience. technical skills.Ability to work independently.Effective interpersonal skills.Skill in organizing and prioritizing work and to attention to detail.Ability to adapt to changing environments.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budget salary range is $47,634- $55,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Monday, April 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
A cover letter and resume are required. Applications submitted without a cover letter and resume will not be reviewed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.