Research Program Manager (IQUIST) - Materials Research Laboratory (144179)
Research Program Manager (IQUIST)
Materials Research Laboratory
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESResearch Program Management
- Work directly with the leadership of federally funded programs and IQUIST to develop and monitor program initiatives, design events, develop and organize budgets, and travel.
- Participate in establishing goals, maintaining timelines, and ensuring that resources are directed appropriately toward achieving objectives.
- Develop and edit presentations on behalf of collaboration leads and IQUIST leadership.
- Prepare and track progress reports and reviews in accordance with funding and reporting requirements.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of grant guidelines to coordinate the comprehensive and compliant execution of assigned projects in accordance with research governing entity requirements.
- Assist in preparation of grant proposals and identifying new opportunities.
- Help develop, coordinate, and maintain a filing system for each grant, along with federal guidelines, correspondence, progress reports, publications, etc.
- Facilitate and oversee planning and scheduling of internal/external meetings, including logistics and preparation of agendas.
- Work with IQUIST staff to ensure accurate and up-to-date records of documents and reports of meetings, conference calls, etc.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Assist in developing and delivering new and existing quantum educational programs, including short courses for industry and national lab partners and masters-degree level classes in quantum information science and technology (QIST).
- Coordinate and develop QIST research opportunities for faculty and students in collaboration with local stakeholders, and industry and national lab partners.
- Serve as a PI or co-PI on externally sponsored research or education programs.
- Serve as a liaison with funding sponsor(s), industrial advisory board members, research faculty, students, and staff.
- Provide coordination for multi-institutional collaboration, including working with staff at partner institutions to achieve the goals of program.
- Support and develop industry collaborations and strategic partnerships, including those that align with the IQUIST mission.
- Help promote and cultivate an engaged and collaborative consortium team culture for multi- institutional research programs.
- Master’s degree in physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, or a field related to the position.
- Demonstrated experience working with federally funded scientific and/or engineering programs (such as physics, chemistry, math, computer science, and/or materials science).
- PhD Degree in physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a technical field, with at least 2 years with research administration/project management responsibilities.
- Track record establishing cooperative relationships with internal and external colleagues and collaborators, from academia, government and industry.
- Proficient in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and collaboration platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Google Drive and Slack.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize meetings, schedules, and events.
- Ability to follow multiple detailed directions of various protocols and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational, planning, problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATIONThe Research Program Manager position is a full-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ApplyApplications must be received by April 20. 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
- Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
- Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
- Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained
- names/contact information for three references
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit “Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.”
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:2-Administrative Title:Research Program Manager (IQUIST) - Materials Research Laboratory (144179) Open Date:04/02/2021 Close Date:04/20/2021 Organization Name:Materials Research Lab