RiverNet TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
$35,000 - $44,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm with some flexibility in hours due to inclement weather conditions.Job Location:
Raleigh NC with some travel, no overnight travel.Department:
Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences (MEAS) within the College of Sciences at NC State is one of the nation’s largest interdisciplinary geoscience departments. MEAS includes approximately 35 faculty, 75 graduate students, and 220 undergraduates involved in basic and applied studies of Earth Systems. MEAS is dedicated to excellence in research, teaching, and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment that allows all members of the Department to thrive. The Department offers BS, MS, and PhD degrees. Our principal concentrations include weather prediction, air quality, air-sea interactions, storm, and climate modeling, hydrology, geochemistry, oceanography, active tectonics, surface processes & Quaternary studies, geochronology, sedimentology, regional geology, and geospatial analytics applied to the geosciences.
The multi-disciplinary nature of our department lends itself to the study of such problems as prediction of severe weather (e.g. hurricanes), geologic hazards, coastal erosion, air-sea-land interactions, pollution of surface and groundwater, big-data assimilation, and global climate change. While basic research is always important, many of our research projects also have direct application to current issues such as water quality/water supply, seafood harvests, climate change, weather prediction, natural hazards, Earth resources and land use. MEAS offers degree programs in marine sciences, geology, and meteorology. Our programs include many tracks in each of our program areas and thus provide the opportunity for an education broader than bachelor’s degrees in more traditional departments. Additional information about the department and its facilities can be found on the web page: https://meas.sciences.ncsu.edu.
Opportunities exist for disciplinary and interdisciplinary interactions with more than 50 marine, Earth and atmospheric scientists. NC State also hosts large programs in chemistry and has several shared core research facilities (https://research.ncsu.edu/shared-core-facilities/), and an established Center for Geospatial Analytics: http://geospatial.ncsu.edu. Both the North Carolina State Climate Office and the Raleigh office of the National Weather Service reside on NC State’s campus. MEAS is one of six NC State departments with a presence at the NC State Center for Marine Sciences and Technology (CMAST), a coastal and marine science research facility located on Bogue Sound in Morehead City, NC (http://www.cmast.ncsu.edu). In addition, the Data Science Initiative (DSI), sponsored by the Office of Research and Innovation at NC State, seeks to create a nationally recognized hub of excellence in data science and analytics (https://research.ncsu.edu/dsi). Raleigh, NC is a progressive and welcoming community with a wide range of potential collaborators at nearby academic and governmental institutions in the Research Triangle.Essential Job Duties:
- This position is responsible for measuring water quality and nutrient flux in the Neuse and Cape Fear River Basins on a continuous basis, then compiling the data and archiving on the project website.
- The successful candidate must be able to deploy and maintain in-situ instruments in rivers at remote field data collection sites.
- The position requires performing duties in the field in adverse weather conditions, driving 4 wheel drive vehicles and small boats, and having familiarity with water quality measurements and in situ instruments. The Research Technician will also check field data with a Lachat Quickem 8500 Ion Chromatograph bench-top system in the lab and will also:
- Maintain and calibrate handheld water quality monitors.
- Process samples for laboratory analysis, and calibrate and inventory parts and accessories of water quality measurement systems.
- The Research Technician must also be familiar with windows computer systems, GPS systems, and oversee data verification from remote stations while working with the lab manager to maintain quality control of the computer QA/QC database on lab and web servers.
- Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.
- This position is located at NCSU’s South Campus and at the Varsity Drive Field Station as well as Jordan Hall.
This is a time-limited position with an expected duration of up to 2 months. Funding is anticipated to be renewed July 1, 2021.
- Aid Faculty, Staff and Students in associated field projects.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Other Required Qualifications:
- Must be able to climb ladders as well as get in and out of 4 wheel drive trucks and small boats with or without reasonable accommodations.
May need to lift 85 lbs without assistance once or twice a month.
- Graduation from a college with a four-year degree in Physical Science.
- Experience with analytical instruments and data base management.
- Experience with field work a plus.
- Valid NC Driver’s license or the ability obtain one within 60 days if moving from out of state with an existing driver’s license.
- Successful completion of a boating safety education course is required after employment begins if the candidate does not have the appropriate license/certification already to operate a small watercraft.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
04/02/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Interviews may begin at any time therefore early application is encouraged. All applications are required to be reviewed as long as the position is active and open on the NCSU jobsite. This position is located at NCSU’s South Campus and at the Varsity Drive Field Station as well as Jordan Hall.
Applicants can prepare a statement of work related interests and intent to upload as “Other Document (1)”.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Research TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,122Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
YesTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable):
Initially 2 months, recurring as funding allowsIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
178601 - Marine, Earth And AtmosphericAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.