Extracorporeal Veterinary Technician
Extracorporeal Veterinary TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
$38,000 - $45,000Work Schedule:
24/7 operation, schedule TBDJob Location:
CVM Teaching HospitalAbout the Department:
The NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH), established in 1983, is one of the highest rated veterinary academic medical centers in the country, serving communities throughout North Carolina as well as many other states. The hospital staffs over twenty clinical services with board certified specialists that are nationally and even internationally renowned, ensuring the VH is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care. Each year, nearly 35,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th year veterinary students from College of Veterinary Medicine, and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine.
The college is committed to practicing inclusivity, making community a priority and promoting innovation. We embrace effective leadership and we champion personal and professional growth.Essential Job Duties:
- This position provides technical assistance to the Extracorporeal Service, which is comprised of the Dialysis, Apheresis and Bone Marrow Transplant Departments in the Randall B Terry Companion Animal Medical Center (TC) The individual will act as the Clinical Technician (CT) for the Extracorporeal service, providing unique customer service, technical assistance, data collection, and patient care. The position will also work closely and provide backup support for the Medical Oncology Internal Medicine departments.
- The position interacts with both private owners as well as referring veterinarians (rDVM) through e-mail and phone communications. Position is the primary point of contact for client check in, patient admitting, updates, scheduling, and questions. Performs various technical procedures including; anesthesia support and monitoring, Intravenous catheter placement, venipuncture, IV injections, wound management, drug administration (IV, Oral, Subcutaneous), chemotherapy administration, bandage care, bone marrow aspirates, inpatient hospitalization care, biopsies and various routine diagnostic testing.
- Manages all internal billing for individual patients along with internal processes for requesting radiographic procedures, surgical procedures, anesthetic procedures, and diagnostic sample requests.
- Provides excellent patient care by applying full knowledge of anatomy, physiology, disease processes, pharmacology, specialized equipment usage, and specialized drug administration.
Responsible for supervising, coaching, teaching, orienting and evaluating in the principals of Oncology for all senior veterinary students as well as post-doctoral interns and residents.
- Records a variety of data relating to patient care, diagnostic testing and treatments, and client communications. Provides quick and accurate information regarding each patient, acting as the liaison between client and veterinarian. Is proficient in entering data into electronic medical record.
Maintains a clean working environment to ensure Infectious Disease standards are followed and infection is not spread.
- Handles all medical/biological and infectious waste appropriately and follows all radiation safety, OSHA, and Environmental Health and Safety standards.
- Keeps all necessary equipment in clean and working order and has all necessary and appropriate stocked supplies available for procedures and daily patient husbandry.
- Other duties as assigned
Completion of an accredited training program in the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Some positions may require additional Training, Certifications, or Licensure.Other Required Qualifications:
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work beyond scheduled work hours when needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and be an active participant in problem solving and team advancement.
- Ability to work effectively with computers and electronics.
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment to ensure high quality care for all patients and request assistance when needed.
- Desire to teach 4th year veterinary students
- Licensed/Registered/Certified by any state
- Graduation from an AVMA fully accredited two- or four-year Veterinary Technician program.
- At least 3 years of experience as a veterinary technician in a clinical setting; preferably referral / tertiary care / teaching hospital.
- Registered/Licensed/Certified by any state.
- NC Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) or eligibility for the NC RVT exam required. NC * RVT exam eligibility requirements include graduation from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program and a passing score on the National Veterinary Technician Exam.
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
04/02/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
In addition to a fully completed application please submit the contact information for at least 3 professional references. You may also submit an optional cover letter and resume.
If you upload a resume, please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Medical Support TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $61,687Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
192001 - CVM Teaching HospitalAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.