10018388 Executive Director of Human Resources
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Office of Human Resources Primary Location: Macon Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position directs the University’s human resources and payroll functions.
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws and with University System of Georgia policies and procedures.
- Counsels managers on issues involving employee performance.
- Conducts investigations and resolution of complaints, grievances and other employee issues.
- Responds to questions and/or complaints from employees.
- Assists with extending job offers.
- Provides necessary data for the MGA strategic plan.
- Serves as a consultant on compensation issues.
- Oversees the Critical Hire process.
- Administers the USG Open Enrollment activities.
- Directs the MGA Well-being committee.
- Oversees the performance evaluation process.
- Directs the development and update of the department’s website.
- Delivers employee training and development programs.
- Serves as resource for payroll issues.
- Guides claims for workers’ compensation and unemployment.
- Oversees FMLA administration.
- Serves as the Cabinet liaison to the Staff Council.
- Serves on the President’s Cabinet.
- Manages the human resources budget.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of human resources management principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws related to employment and benefits.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies and procedures.
- Skill in the supervision of personnel.
- Skill to make timely decisions.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Executive Vice President for Finance and Operations assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through reports, and observation of department activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include federal and state employment laws, University System of Georgia policies and procedures, the Human Resources Administrative Practice Manual, College and University Professional Association for Human Resources guidelines, Society for Human Resource Management guidelines, and college policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgement, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied duties in directing the University’s human resources functions. The necessity of responding to the day-to-day or immediate needs of personnel contributes to the pressure of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to direct the human resources function of Middle Georgia State University. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of department and University operations.
- The coordination and application of federal and state laws, along with the BOR and MGA policies, contributes to the complexity of the position.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, faculty, staff, retirees, job applicants, University System human resources staff, benefits providers, lawyers, peers at other institution, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to provide services; to motivate or influence persons; and to justify, negotiate or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
- This positions requires travel to other MGA locations.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: The Human Resources and Payroll departments total 6 employees and this position has direct supervision over the Human Resources Manager and the Payroll and Systems Manager.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Five years of experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Earned Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Eight or more years of experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department.
- SHRM-CP. SHRM-SCP, PHR or SPHR certification.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018388 Executive Director of Human Resources 4.1.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D