Special Projects Assistant
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a full time Special Projects Assistant who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who is primarily responsible for event setup and moving of college related materials and equipment to address campus needs on a daily basis. Custodial maintenance duties, including dusting, mopping, finishing and buffing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, cleaning and restocking restrooms will be responsible for event setup and moving of college related materials and equipment to address campus needs on a daily basis.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Completion of 6th Grade.
Preferred: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Required: Six (6) months of experience in custodial or cleaning in a commercial setting.
Preferred: Two (2) years of custodial/cleaning experience in a commercial setting, including scrubbing and waxing floors and using power equipment.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Required: Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to understand verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to understand written and verbal communications.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Move, remove, and/or setup furniture, furnishings, supplies, equipment, and any other items, inside specified buildings or rooms for special functions as directed.
- Gather documentation and coordinate for equipment transfers and disposals of college assets from area to area.
- Reports needs and concerns to appropriate staff, which may include submitting or recommending work orders and checking supply levels.
- Wash interior and exterior windows and glass doors.
- Drive pick-ups and other automotive equipment in the performance of assigned duties.
- Performs general, routine custodial duties. Sweep, mop, vacuum, scrub, and wax floors. Machine shampoo carpeting. Dust and clean walls, vents, screens, furniture, drinking fountains, light fixtures, window blinds, brass, and other interior fixtures. Clean restrooms, plunger sinks and toilets, restocking paper and soap supplies and disposing of trash.
- Follow prescribed safety regulations and informs management of potential risks or hazards.
- Must participate with overtime staff coverage, as needed.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: Requires the ability to walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, push, stretch, bend, climb/work on ladders/scaffolds, and get down to work on hands and knees. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
Working Conditions: May be required to work a flexible schedule (evenings, weekends, holiday's, varying events, etc., if necessary.) Considerable amount of physical activity. Requires heavy physical work;heavy lifting, pushing or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
Working Environment: This position operates in various campus buildings and rooms. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.