Academic Advisor ll
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-01
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The College of Arts & Letters at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking an Academic Advisor, II, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities Include:
- Provides accurate and holistic advisement to students majoring in the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters.
- Utilizes existing tools and resources effectively; provides recommendations for improvement and/or facilitates streamlining for improved productivity.
- Assists students with decision-making, problem-solving, goal-setting/attainment strategies, and makes appropriate recommendations and/or referrals.
- Employs a wide breadth of advising strategies to meet each student’s individual needs.
- Facilitates student independence and learning via the advisement relationship and interactions, based on understanding and application of academic advising practices, theoretical frameworks and student development theory.
- Supports student success and progress in line with College initiatives proactively.
- Communicates and works effectively with Student Academic Services colleagues; makes positive and constructive contributions to foster a collegial team environment.
- Shares knowledge to enhance team learning.
- Creates and maintains academic and electronic records for students/advisers; tracks student progress and assists with outreach/retention efforts.
- Works with Student Academic Services leadership to create and implement student success initiatives and/or participates in assessment of existing services.
- Collaborates with other student-centered offices across the University to facilitate student success and completion.
- Communicates with College faculty and leadership as appropriate.
- Participates in University-led student recruitment and orientation activities as well as College-specific events to increase student engagement and retention.
- Takes initiative to engage in professional development and learning opportunities specific to the advising field.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential to success in this position.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
Must also have excellent customer service, organizational and time management skills.Salary:$48,000College or Department:College of Arts & LettersLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Occasional evenings and weekends.Application Deadline: 2021-04-15-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.