Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado – Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Centers for American Indian and Alaska Native Health (CAIANH) of the University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking professional candidates to work in up to two patient navigation and motivational interviewing positions. These positions are flexible and require a minimum of half-time to full-time hours (.50 to 1.0 FTE). The work schedule for this position will require weekend hours, as well as hours scheduled Monday-Friday. Applicants must be available to work this variable schedule. Funding is available for up to one full-time position. Due to the nature of the work, this position could be filled by either one full-time individual, or two half-time individuals. A minimum of half-time hours (.50 FTE) is required. Full benefits are available at .50 FTE and above. These positions will be based in Fairbanks, Alaska and located within Gateway to Recovery, a detoxification program operated by the Fairbanks Native Association. Funds are not available for selected candidate's relocation to Fairbanks, or for travel between Colorado and Alaska to perform the duties of this position.Transition to Recovery is an intervention research project that will focus on assisting consumers' transition to substance abuse treatment following the successful completion of detoxification. This project is currently in Year 3 of five years of funding. Transition to Recovery is a randomized controlled trial that examines the role of patient navigation in the successful transition to substance abuse treatment following detoxification. All consumers who enroll in the study will receive motivational interviewing while half will be randomized to receive patient navigation. The study population will include all consumers who successfully complete the detoxification process at Gateway to Recovety, operated by Fairbanks Native Association.Nature of Work: The individuals in these Professional Research Assistant positions will work with a study team and Gateway to Recovery staff, and will have primary responsibility for providing patient navigation activities and motivational interviewing. This entails working in close collaboration with our partnering organization Gateway to Recovery, local substance abuse treatment services, and with consumers discharged from the detoxification facility. Consumers are often discharged from the facility on the weekends, and this will require the individuals in these positions to work weekend hours in addition to some hours scheduled Monday-Friday. The work includes communication with consumers, recruitment, consent, collecting survey information, study information, and maintaining accurate and timely study records.Supervision Received: These positions will be supervised by a Patient Navigator Trainer at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. These positions will also interact with a Project Manager located in Denver, Colorado, with regard to matters of time and attendance, distribution of workload among the patient navigator team, the proper completion of project surveys, and quality assurance.Examples of Work Performed: These positions will function as members of the Transition to Recovery team, working alongside other patient navigators, a study coordinator, our Alaska partners, and study investigators. Duties include:
- Recruit consumers into the study.
- Interview and consent consumers including detailed information related to the study purpose, randomization process, length of the study, and follow-up.
- Collect all study documents and surveys ensuring accuracy and completion, and immediately record information.
- Conduct motivational interviewing.
- Perform duties related to patient navigation such as identifying consumer challenges related to entering substance abuse treatment and working with consumers to engage in the appropriate level of substance abuse treatment.
- Assist study coordinator responsible for follow-up activities with 6- and 12-month follow-up visits, by phone or in person, as needed.
- Facilitate communication with providers.
- Coordinate services and assist in the transition of consumers to substance abuse treatment.
- Act as a patient advocate.
- Work in close collaboration and partnership with our Alaska Native partners to transition consumers to substance abuse treatment following detoxification.
- Follow research study protocol.
- Assist with additional duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree. Education and relevant work experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Due to the fluctuation in access to the clinic site, the successful candidate will need to have a reliable internet connection at home to enable remote working, and the ability to work from home as needed.
- Due to the requirements for local travel in the Fairbanks area, the successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of a valid driver's license, valid auto liability insurance, and reliable transportion.
- Care or service of substance dependent consumers in Fairbanks area.
- Experience with community outreach or community engagement in Fairbanks.
- Experience working with substance abuse treatment professionals and services.
- Experience with record keeping and data.
- Demonstrated HIPAA knowledge.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based setting, and also function effectively on an independent basis.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, courteous working relationships with consumers, co-workers, clinic staff, service providers, and other partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to adhere to protocols and project standards.
- Accurate, efficient, and dependable.
- Demonstrated good judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 1, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing