DescriptionSchool of Medicine, Department of OtolaryngologyFinance and Accounting Professional (Financial Coordinator)Position #00708596– Requisition # 20756
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology has an opening for a [full-time] University Staff (unclassified) Finance and Accounting Professional (Financial Coordinator) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Nature of Work:
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.Position Emphasis:
The Department of Otolaryngology currently seeks a Business Services Professional at the intermediate level to perform operational, fiscal, and administrative responsibilities for the Highlands Ranch Hospital CU Medicine – Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, and Audiology practices. Duties in these areas are as follows: Supervision Received
Reports directly to the Department’s Director of Finance & Administration (DFA). For day-to-day supervision, reports to the CU Medicine – Otolaryngology practice manager. Operational Responsibilities:
Clinical Fiscal Responsibilities:
- Maintain and implement well-rounded process for insurance requirements for patients and clinic including investigating insurance denials, tracking patient benefits, completing insurance benefit checks, performing authorizations for in-office procedures and medications, and completing pre-visit authorization.
- Work patient authorization as first point of contact, inclusive of receipt of patient intake scheduling form with insurance information; determining authorization requirements; working to full authorization resolution; with final handoff to nursing upon insurance verification for scheduling of patient.
- Investigate all insurance denials and determine appropriate next steps.
- Scrub all upcoming scheduled appointments to verify insurance needs are resolved. If unresolved, identify and resolve any remaining issues in advance.
- Coordinate with hospital scheduling and insurance verification teams for all required prior-authorization for surgeries. Includes estimates for self pay or no insurance patients.
- Complete prior-authorization for hearing aids/referral entry.
- Monitor and track missing charges and self-pay charges; post payments; charge credits for patient refunds.
- Develop custom reports for clinical faculty including but not limited to open encounters, payer mix, clinical volume, work RVUs, etc.
- Maintain long-term storage of all clinic-related financial records in paper or digital form for efficient retrieval for analysis and/or audits.
- Serve as a liaison between patients and CU Medicine, providing first point of patient contact, for any patient billing issues to gain understanding of issue(s) and facilitate resolution. When appropriate, escalate to CU Medicine billing and patient services department.
- Prepare various financial and operational reports on behalf of the clinic as needed.
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets and databases for tracking and reporting using Excel and other software packages as needed.
- Serve as backup to other office administrative support including front desk personnel.
- Assist with special projects and assignments as assigned by the Program Director.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
Salary range for this position is $44,526-$62,336This position is not eligible for overtime compensationYour total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
A bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution and 1 year of professional level experience supporting financial and administrative duties of a medical clinic. Substitution
: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.Preferred Qualification:
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working in a large complex public institution, higher education, healthcare or health sciences center.
- Experience obtaining, verifying, and processing patient insurance.
- Experience working with complexities of Head & Neck cancer surgical insurance verifications.
- Experience working with otolaryngology and/or audiology insurance verifications.
- Experience working with various business compliance needs (HIPAA, NIH, COI, etc.).
- Experience tracking, analyzing and managing RVU reports for providers .
Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.Comfortable working with all levels of clinical staff including Medical Assistants, Nurses, Advanced Practice Providers, Audiologists, and Physicians to meet individual needs.Ability to work in a fast-pace and often-changing clinical environment to provide exceptional customer service to both patients and medical staff.Job Category:
Finance and AccountingPrimary Location:
Apr 1, 2021Unposting Date:
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University