Professional Research Assistant
Professional Research Assistant
GI Translational/Pitts Lab
School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Position Number: 00782535
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Nature of WorkThe GI Translational Lab in the Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine has an immediate opening for an entry level Professional Research Assistant at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado USA. The position will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure. An employee in this position can be terminated at any time without notice and severance pay may not be provided.Professional FieldMolecular biology, cancer biology, biochemistry, animal sciences.Supervision ReceivedWe are looking for a talented, energetic, highly motivated individual to work in the professional field of Oncology; and will work with lab research and executes projects related to Oncology/Molecular Biology with oversight in preclinical therapeutics development and Molecular Biology. The successful candidate will work as a team member, (s)he will be supervised by Dr. Todd Pitts, and current supervising research staff within the laboratory.There will be an emphasis in working within the developmental therapeutics program and early phase I clinical biomarker development with an emphasis on the use of animal models for the study of Breast and GI Cancer.Supervision ExercisedNone.Examples of Work PerformedExamples of research lab work performed: Cell culture, biochemistry and molecular expertise required.Specific research lab duties include:
- Maintenance of a GI cancer xenograft bank, mouse work and development and improvement of mouse models, as directed.
- Processing and management of patient tissue samples (PBMC's, serum, normal tissues, tumor tissues) from clinical trials.
- Examine the effects of novel anticancer drugs on GI cancer cell types, including colon, hepatocellular, esophageal and pancreatic cancer.
- Familiarity with cell culture techniques and animal cancer models is essential.
- Participation in research meetings, case conferences, team meetings, weekly individual supervision.
- Completes all necessary research recordkeeping and documentation and timely data entry.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
- Willingly accepts additional responsibilities and duties as assigned by management.
- Performs other related research duties and procedures, including special research projects and those related to managing patient samples from clinical trials, as directed.
- Bachelor's degree education in appropriate scientific field (biology, chemistry, or related sciences)
- 1 year of laboratory experience using the above-described research laboratory techniques.
- Prior research laboratory experience working with research animals highly preferred.
- Experience with cell viability, survival and apoptosis assays, and flow cytometry techniques.
- Proficient with Microsoft software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook) preferred.
- Team-oriented, flexible, able to communicate and motivate collaborative partners
- Ability to work independently and effectively to develop new techniques
- Self-motivated; demonstrated successful planning and management skills in behavioral research and/or research projects.
- Working knowledge of molecular biology techniques for protein and RNA analysis are required.
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches and work effectively to assure rapid research progress.
- The PRA position involves strong qualitative analysis skills, health, and public health research experience, must have excellent written and oral communications skills and strong word processing skills including internet and electronic mail capabilities for University business only.
- Recent college graduates and newly experienced researchers are both encouraged to apply for this PRA position.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 2, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing