Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Barbara Davis Center - Research Division
Professional Research Assistant - Position #00782532
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Barbara Davis Center has an opening for a full-time (40 hours per week) Professional Research Assistant. The Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes (BDC) is a multi-disciplinary diabetes center located on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The BDC is affiliated with the University of Colorado Denver’s School of Medicine. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) Professional Research Assistant within the BDC’s Research Division. This is primarily a research position with laboratory duties. A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient’s bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the recently completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Job Summary:This is a full time (40 hours per week) PRA position within the Research Division of the Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes. The employee will work in the laboratory of Dr. Howard Davidson. This individual will interact primarily with Dr. Davidson and his Sr. PRA. This position requires interest in medical research, the ability to be self-directed, detail oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity laboratory environment. Work mainly involves the use of human and/or mouse immune cells. Typical experimental procedures will include primary hematopoietic cell isolation, expansion, analysis, and maintenance; maintenance of tissue culture lines; transfection and transduction of mammalian cell lines; cloning and sequencing of DNA and RNA; flow cytometry; cytokine assays; SDS gel electrophoresis and Western blotting; work with viral vectors; and work with laboratory animals. Job Responsibilities:
- Preparation of tissues, cell cultures, and human blood samples for further testing
- Maintenance of cell cultures
- Conduct experiments, screens, and assays
- Animal care related to research procedures
- Performing recombinant DNA/RNA work
- Conduct literature searches
- Perform microscopic analysis
- Perform proteomic analysis
- Prepare samples for analysis by various instrumentation
- Tabulate research data
- Record results of experiments in a timely and detailed manner
- Effectively communicate research results to laboratory colleagues
- Participate in lab meetings
- Assist PI and other lab members in problem solving as it relates to the research project
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors of Science degree in: Immunology, Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, or a related field.
- 2 months’ experience in a biomedical research laboratory – specifically with immunological or cell biological techniques.
- Must be proficient in computer skills including but not limited to: Microsoft Office
- Previous experience (1+ year) in in a biomedical research laboratory – specifically with immunological or cell biological techniques preferred.
- Previous experience with human subjects research
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 2, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing