Police Lieutenant - Campus Police & Safety
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, is seeking candidates for the Police Lieutenant position in the Campus Police & Safety Department.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
Under general direction, manages and participates in assigned programs, functions and activities, staff function or work shift; administers operations and prepares and evaluates field and staff reports; conducts internal investigations; performs sworn police duties in the prevention of crime and the enforcement of law and order, public safety and the protection of life and performs related work as required.
- Supervises and coordinates departmental personnel through precincts composed of squads containing shift Sergeants and Officers in the investigation of criminal and administrative cases; offers guidance and expertise to investigators; ensures that processes are conducted in accordance with laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Reviews and submits police reports, including incident, accident and other reports; ensures case files are completed and properly submitted; trains assigned personnel in proper reporting methods.
- Develops monthly employee work schedules; schedules employees to cover special events.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing in English.
- Analyzes department personnel, policies, and trends and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Investigates complaints concerning officers or department operations as well as criminal incidents
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions independently.
- Use applicable weapons.
- Implementing, developing policing for training staff.
- Reviews and approves employee time cards; approves officer leave requests.
- Develops and presents training instruction to staff and other campus constituencies.
- Exercise self-control and independent and sound judgment in evaluating situations and in emergency hazardous situations and make quick, effective and reasonable decisions.
- Reviews and approves departmental payroll and timesheets for subordinates.
- Must be available for recall in emergency situations.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate the department.
- Ability to deal firmly and courteously with subordinates and the public under stressful conditions; ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine proper courses of action to be taken.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles and practices.
- Knowledge of community policing principles.
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness, response and recovery principles.
- Knowledge of public safety principles as related to college campuses.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Associate Degree required.
- Eight years' experience as a full-time police officer, two years of full-time experience as a Patrol Sergeant and or current rank of Sergeant or higher, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Two years as a Field Training Officer (FTO), Certification from (POST)
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
- Must be Georgia P.O.S.T. certified, must pass qualifying examination and must possess a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia.
- Possession of or an ability to readily obtain GCIC/NCIC certification.
- Bachelor's Degree
- General Instructor
- Firearms Instructor
- Taser Instructor