Specialist - Outreach-Fixed Term
Job descriptionJob no: 697966
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Civil And Environmental Engineering 10016148
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training, Engineers/Architects, Non-Union
Department Civil and Environmental Engineering, Michigan State University
Position Available: Specialist-Outreach (Director, National Center for Pavement Preservation)
The National Center for Pavement Preservation (NCPP) was established in 2003 through the collaborative efforts of Michigan State University (MSU), the Federal Highway Administration, and FP2 Inc. to provide the outreach, education, and research needed to preserve America's highway and road infrastructure. Today, the NCPP's portfolio includes managing the pavement and bridge preservation technical services program and the equipment management technical services program for the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). The NCPP also has implemented a Pavement Preservation Certification Program for agency and industry personnel to improve the knowledge of pavement practitioners.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) invites applications for the position of Specialist-Outreach (Director of the National Center of Pavement Preservation) at Michigan State University. The Director is responsible for NCPP programs and operations and coordinating NCPP activities with the efforts of MSU faculty and staff involved in research, education, and outreach related to effective pavement and bridge preservation. Primary duties include directing the development and oversight of course offerings for external audiences, proposing and managing funded research activities, administering outreach initiatives for new preservation programs, and providing technical assistance for established programs. The successful candidate will be required to represent MSU and NCPP at relevant regional, national, and international meetings and events, coordinate recruiting efforts for new partners and sponsors and expand networks of preservation practitioners. The Director reports to the Chairperson of the Department Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) and receives strategic advice from the NCPP Advisory Board. The successful candidate must have an entrepreneurial approach to pursue and cultivate opportunities to advance the Center's mission. The Center is funded primarily through external contracts and grants; the Director is responsible for the financial and professional success of the NCPP.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
Masters -Civil Engineering or a closely relatedDesired Degree
Doctorate -area related to pavement or bridge preseMinimum Requirements
- BS and MS degrees in Civil Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Ten years of progressive engineering and leadership experience with a highway agency, such as a state or county transportation agency, or equivalent
- Progressive technical and managerial experience in pavement or bridge preservation that includes supervision of professional staff, effective internal and external communication, program development, operational oversight, and budget responsibility
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in organizational and strategic planning
- Ability to formulate and communicate a compelling vision for NCPP and the opportunities and challenges in infrastructure engineering
- History of working effectively with state, local, and federal transportation agencies, industry associations, contractors, suppliers, and academia
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer
- Ph.D. in an area related to pavement or bridge preservation
- Research experience, including as a principal investigator on competitive grants
- Knowledge and experience with highway maintenance operations, construction practices, materials, transportation asset management, pavement or bridge design, and strategic planning.
- Experience with the development of construction specifications and quality assurance requirements and programs for highway construction
- Experience developing, organizing, and offering professional training courses, workshops or seminars.
The position will be filled as an Outreach Specialist-Fixed term. Applicants must submit:
- a detailed resume,
- a cover letter summarizing their qualifications,
- vision statements for outreach, education, and research,
- names and contact information for at least three references.
For full consideration, applications should be received before April 30, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis thereafter until the position is filled. The position is available on July 1, 2021.
Nominations or questions about this position are welcome by contacting Dr. Karim Chatti, Search Committee chair by email at [email protected]Special Instructions
Review of Applications Begins On
https://www.pavementpreservation.org/; https://www.egr.msu.edu/cee/Department Statement
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is adjacent to the city of East Lansing and the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 450,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. Michigan State University is pro-active in exploring opportunities for employment for dual career couples, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU's dual career support can be found at http://miwin.msu.edu/. Information about Work Life at MSU and the College of Engineering can be found at http://www.egr.msu.edu/WE.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Apr 1, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 1, 2023 Eastern Daylight Time