Emergency Medical Technician (Program Assistant-AS), Wellness Center
Job no: 495137
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Under the direction of the Director of the Wellness Center and the Chief Offices of the Rowan University Emergency Medical Services, a department within the Wellness Center, the Emergency Medical Technician drives or rides an ambulance to a specific location to provide emergency medical treatment, provides treatment both at the scene and on the trip to the local hospital; does related duties as assigned. Assist Chief in supervision of student staff and unit functions as well as any other activities as assigned. The EMT will act in the place of the Chief Officer in their absence.
Our staff is diverse in many ways and we strive to mirror the population we serve in the Rowan University community. We welcome candidates who will continue to expand our reach to marginalized and under-represented students. Our ideal candidate possesses an understanding of intersectionality and how it impacts the daily lives of students.
The EMT hired for this position may be responsible for services to all of the campuses which fall under the Rowan University umbrella.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Answers all calls for emergency medical treatment.
- Drives ambulance to required location, parks ambulance in a safe location, and creates a safe traffic environment by placement of road flares, removal of debris, and redirection of traffic.
- Determines the nature and extent of injury and establishes priorities for emergency care.
- Administers emergency care such as opening and maintaining an airway, giving positive pressure ventilation, and cardio-resuscitation.
- Stops bleeding by bandaging or tourniquets, treats shock, immobilizes fractures, and provides initial care of poisoned and burn patients.
- Extricates patients from entrapment.
- Maintains communication with dispatch, the hospital, etc.
- Maintains reporting with electronic records and communications.
- Prepares victims for transportation in an ambulance.
- Cares for patient on return trip to hospital.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree.
- Note: Experience as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) involving the application of knowledge, principles, and best practices to provide emergency treatments appropriate to patients' conditions to include pulmonary and cardiac resuscitation, oxygen administration, first aid services, and other emergency medical care as required may be substituted on a year-for-year basis to meet the education requirement. Therefore, to qualify under this substitution, applicants must possess at least four (4) years of experience as an EMT as outlined above.
- Possession of a current and valid Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Health. Note: Applicants who possess the higher level certification as a Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic, or Mobile Intensive Care Registered Nurse Certification, issued by the New Jersey Department of Health, are considered to have met the certification requirement.
- Possession of a current driver's license valid in New Jersey.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations
- Ability to establish rapport with patients
- Ability to determine the nature and extent of injuries and prioritize emergency medical treatment needs
- Ability to drive an ambulance with caution
- Ability to work harmoniously with others
- Range P16 (Step 1 = $43,753)
- Only completed online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Advertised: Apr 1 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 15 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time