Clerk IV - Medical Records Coding
Job no: 507738
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Administrative/Office Support, Health & Medical Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assign and sequence all International Classification of Disease, 10th edition (ICD 10) and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes for all University Health Services (UHS) services provided, according to the physician documentation. Code all outpatient diagnoses and procedures using CPT and ICD 10 "Official Coding Guidelines"; using the latest coding guidelines. Performs all date entry on computer for billing and University Health Services for all patient visits. Proactively communicate with physicians and physician's offices to insure there is adequate documentation to support the services and conditions being provided for, communicate to medical staff concerning documentation issues to support accurate coding and billing. Participates in Quality Improvement Studies as needed. Shares coding/billing information with others in a professional and timely manner, as needed.
Works under the direct supervision of the Medical Records Supervisor.
- Checks accuracy and completeness of medical records, forms, documents and attachments according to detailed procedures or by comparison with original sources on all outpatient services.
- Performs all data entry for outpatient services by checking for accuracy and completeness. Codes all diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD 10 and CPT coding systems.
- Performs the data entry of coding information on the patient management system according to departmental procedures.
- Proactively communicate with physicians and physician's offices to insure there is adequate documentation to support the services and or conditions being provided for.
- Communicate with medical staff concerning documentation issues to support accurate coding and billing. Shares coding/billing information with others in a professional and timely manner as needed.
- Performs data entry for outpatient services by checking the encounter form for accuracy and completeness. Codes diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD 10, Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) and CPT coding systems. Uses latest version of coding systems.
- Enter all codes electronically.
- Maintains the required number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) necessary for maintaining credentials or certification. Must be current on latest version of coding.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Completion of one of the below listed Coding Certification Programs.
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- CCS (Certified Coding Specialist)
- CCA (Certified Coding Associate)
- CCS-P (Coding Certified Specialist-Physician Based)
- Knowledge of ICD 10 and CPT coding.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology.
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, grammar, and arithmetic.
- Basic knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Data entry skills.
- Ability to maintain medical records.
- Ability to understand the principle of confidentiality of medical records and the ability to observe practices assuring this confidentiality.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment activity.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of a computerized coding system.
- Knowledge of ICD 10th edition, CPT codes, and HCPCS codes.
M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit your application, resume, and three professional references by April 11, 2021 to ensure priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 1 2021 Eastern Daylight Time