Senior Director for HR Partnerships & Labor Relations
Job no: 507759
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Human Resources
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Human Resources
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position serves as a senior member of the Human Resources team and oversees a portfolio that includes Employee and Labor Relations and the HR Business Partner team. The position will develop strong relationships with campus partners to understand university culture to provide timely and effective solutions to a variety of workplace challenges. As a part of the Human Resources leadership team, this position will be a champion of HR strategic initiatives and lead with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Provide support and strategic oversight to: Labor Relations, Employee Relations, and the HR Business Partner team. Champion initiatives and efforts within these units and represent their interests on the HR senior leadership team.
- Develop and implement campus wide best practice models for employee relations. Provide solutions that result in positive resolutions over employee disputes.
- Partner with HR colleagues to effectively implement cross-functional solutions to common campus concerns.
- Provide direction to HRBP team to develop and support strategic relationships with key units across campus.
- Coach and partner with HRBP team to create actionable plans to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Build relationships with employee representatives, including union leadership. Work with senior university leaders on strategic labor relations goals.
- Consult with supervisors and employees to address workplace climate concerns and build productive supervisory relationships.
- Provide strategic direction in union contract negotiations including drafting and vetting proposals, and building management consensus on bargaining positions.
- Ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and employment policies.
- Train supervisors and managers on best practices in areas of performance management, discipline, grievance handling, and other labor relations matters.
- Address key labor relations and personnel concerns in a timely and engaged manner.
- Provide input to the HR strategic plan, future planning efforts, and, in consultation with other HR leaders.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of progressive HR experience.
- Ability to effectively lead change.
- Executive presence, ability to formulate, present and execute complex strategies, policies and programs.
- Excellent overall business acumen. Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to be a collaborative HR professional and team player.
- Knowledge and ability to apply complex concepts, practices and procedures within the general business, academic and human resources environments. Ability to promote ideas and proposals persuasively including with the use of data and analysis as appropriate.
- Ability to cultivate influential and credible relationships with Vice Chancellors and Deans across the campus. Ability to resolve difficult and personal employee, student or leader (Vice Chancellor, Dean, Department Head, etc.) issues in a composed, professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to serve as a confidential and trusted partner to the VC/CHRO in all matters.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree or JD and 7 years progressive HR experience with at least 2 years in an executive role.
- Experience working in large highly complex organizational structures.
- Experience supervising and managing a team of HR professionals.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in leading strategic planning efforts.
- Experience in public sector labor relations.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 – 5:00 PM
Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by April 16, 2021, to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 2 2021 Eastern Daylight Time