Senior Director Employee Engagement - Internal Search
Job no: 507758
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Human Resources
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Human Resources
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position serves as a senior member of the Human Resources team and oversees activities related to employee engagement, including training and development, wellness programs, recognition programs, and activities related to employee satisfaction. The position will provide strategic oversight to Workplace Learning & Development, the Partnership for Worker Education, and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program. The position will develop strong relationships with campus partners to understand departmental dynamics which create barriers to and opportunities for positive employee experiences. The position will develop and/or refine employee engagement programs that are rooted in data and national best practices. Manages and executes the delivery of special projects.
This position is open to internal UMass Amherst employees only.
- Provide strategic oversight to the campus’s training and development functions to create synergy between training units and a cohesive suite of training offerings that is responsive to campus workforce needs. Develop and implement campus wide retention programing for key roles.
- Build a campus-wide wellness portfolio that leverages current offerings (e.g. FSAP and WLD) and adds programming and resources that positions UMass Amherst as an employer of choice in Western Massachusetts.
- Champion work/life balance initiatives, support for underrepresented members of the campus community, and programs that enhance the university’s responsiveness to employee needs at all stages of the employee life-cycle.
- Oversee existing employee recognition programs such as the length of service awards and the Chancellor’s citation awards.
- Identify and support existing departmental recognition programs.
- Promote the use of data to inform decision-making in all areas of employee engagement. Explore additional data collection methods to better understand trends in employee satisfaction and needs, such as exit surveys, satisfaction surveys, etc.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent both with law and with University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of progressive HR experience.
- Ability to effectively lead change.
- Executive presence, ability to formulate, present and execute complex strategies, policies and programs.
- Excellent overall business acumen. Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be a collaborative HR professional and team player.
- Knowledge and ability to apply complex concepts, practices and procedures within the general business, academic and human resources environments. Ability to promote ideas and proposals persuasively including with the use of data and analysis as appropriate.
- Ability to cultivate influential and credible relationships with Vice Chancellors and Deans across the campus. Ability to resolve difficult and personal employee, student or leader (Vice Chancellor, Dean, Department Head, etc.) issues in a composed, professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to serve as a confidential and trusted partner to the VC/CHRO in all matters.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 3 years of experience in an HR Director or Manager position.
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience in building and executing HR initiatives.
- HRCI or SHRM certification.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
This position is open to internal UMass Amherst employees only.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 – 5:00 PM
Salary commensurate with experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by April 16, 2021, to ensure priority consideration. The position may remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 2 2021 Eastern Daylight Time