Associate Director of Athletics – Academic Success
Job no: 507744
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Member of the department’s executive leadership team. Responsible for the oversight and management of academic success and academic support services for approximately 650 student-athletes participating in 21 varsity sport programs. Provide leadership and operational management for all facets related to student athlete academic success (eligibility, degree progression and graduation). Ensure compliance with all University, Conference and NCAA regulations. The Associate AD – Academic Success will report to the Senior Associate AD – Sport Administration/SWA.
- Serve on executive leadership team; provide strategic direction, decision-making and formulate policy.
- Directly and indirectly supervise academic success staff, learning specialists, and tutors.
- Represent athletics department on campus, conference and NCAA committees; serve as department academic liaison to faculty, staff, administrators and university constituents.
- Develop and implement strategic plans and procedures for programs designed to cultivate an environment that supports elite performance and a first-class student-athlete experience.
- Development of necessary reports and balance scorecards as required or requested by director of athletics, university leadership and/or conference office(s).
- Responsible for keeping abreast of current trends and developments in the field through publications, seminars and conferences.
- Advise the director of athletics on department matters related to the student-athlete experience and assists the Director of Athletics/Senior Associate AD – Sport Administration/SWA in formulating department policy.
- Expected to evaluate all academic success staff and determine sport(s) that they will oversee.
- Consults with the Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR) on appropriate Conference and NCAA issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Responsible for leading a strong and unified student success strategy:
- Assist compliance office in developing and maintaining student-athlete academic performance rate (APR) and graduation success rate (GSR) data.
- Assist registrar with degree program certification and other athletics eligibility metrics.
- Provide guidance and oversight of academic services designed to complement those offered with campus programs, particularly in the areas of initial assessment of academic preparedness, skills and learning testing and analysis, course registration, and major selection.
- Responsible for the academic counseling of student-athletes of select teams. This includes but is not limited to coordinating and supervising study hall activities, tutoring activities, and approval of course related books.
- Work with head coaches, athletics staff members and campus staff to ensure accurate and efficient collection and administration of admissions materials.
- Collaborate with UMass Athletics compliance and business office staff on accounting for student financial aid, housing and meal plans.
- Collaborate with UMass sports medicine, behavioral health, applied science, sports performance and nutrition staff members to ensure a holistic student experience.
- Collaborate with coaching staff, Director of Student-Athlete Development and campus personnel to conduct effective prospective student-athlete and parent/guardian recruiting visits, orientation events, career fairs, academics awards ceremonies and other events.
- Collaborate with Director of Student-Athlete development regarding Beyond U programming and assessment of student-athletes as they navigate career opportunities.
- Primary liaison with Office of Student Success on matters pertaining to campus advising and student leadership initiatives.
- Assist appropriate personnel with student internship and job/career related opportunities.
Responsible for ensuring an academic support services program which maintains and adheres to the philosophies and regulations of the Conference, NCAA, and University.
- Primary oversight in developing and maintaining lines of communication between the academic success area and the Registrar’s office regarding student-athlete academic status related to NCAA eligibility.
- Responsible for the collection and maintenance of all aspects of real-time academic performance reports and data relative to student-athletes including mid-term grades and classes in order to ensure completion of all NCAA requirements and progress toward graduation.
- Participation on committee for planning and distribution of summer term, intersession, and fifth-year scholarship aid.
- Responsible for monitoring and communicating with student-athletes, coaches, and relevant internal administrative areas about student-athletes’ academic records in relation to matriculation, graduation, and NCAA eligibility.
- Coordinate academic and postgraduate scholarship national award nominations.
- Supervise development of academic success procedures manuals, handbooks and other collateral.
- Maintain working knowledge and strict adherence to University, Conference and NCAA rules and policies.
Responsible for the overall development, supervision, and implementation of the academic success program for the department of athletics.
- Responsible for ensuring the appropriate assignment of staff duties and responsibilities.
- Evaluate full-time academic success staff annually.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring the budget for the academic success area in conjunction with the Associate AD for Finance and Administration and Senior Associate AD – Sport Administration/SWA.
- Responsible for technology recommendations to the athletics business office in relation to academic support services hardware and software needs.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited institution in counseling, education or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- Required at least seven plus years of demonstrated experience in intercollegiate athletics academic support services required.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computers and student database systems.
- Prior working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Ability to foster and maintain working relationships with various athletics coaches, staff, student-athletes, University, and public constituencies.
- Ability to act independently and exercise sound judgement.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
Master’s degree from an accredited institution in counseling, education or related field.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
Monday- Friday, 40 hours per week. Evenings, weekends and holidays may often be required depending on responsibilities of the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references. Applicants must apply by the priority deadline of 4/16/2021 in order to ensure consideration. Applications may be accepted after the priority date until a suitable candidate pool has been identified.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 2 2021 Eastern Daylight Time