Finance Business Partner - CWM
Under the general direction of the Asst. Director, Financial Ops, the Finance Business Partner provides coordination and management of daily financial activities of CWM business units. These financial activities are conducted in accordance with the policies and procedures set-forth under the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s Department of Financial Services, the Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS); as well as regulatory requirements for funding agencies for Grant funded contracts.Responsibilities
- Monitor financial operations on a monthly basis at the project and Business Unit level and compare to approved budgets for assigned program units. Work with program leads to identify any potential adjustments needed and/or reasons for budget variances.
- Extract and analyze raw data to formulate into business reports to be used by all levels of management.
- Prepare internal monthly financial analysis reports for senior management and CWM Finance.
- Prepare external management reports for Federal, State and local agencies.
- Manage the monthly invoicing process for assigned units according to University policy and agency guidelines.
- Develop and manage the Program's annual budget and report variances and recommend corrective action. Provide forecasts as needed.
- Manage program funding sources by monitoring revenue and expenditure activity.
- Direct analytical studies of existing or proposed services and activities to provide the economic basis for management decisions to improve operational/financial performance and to realize productivity improvements.
- Review and approve commitments and expenditures against approved budget.
- Assist and review preparation and timely submission of grant applications and reports and the development of associated budgets and re-budgets.
- Ensure University, federal, state and private agency policies and guidelines are followed.
- Serve as liaison and advisor with principal investigators and other departments for pre and post award activity relating to grant management.
- Review and analyze financial operation’s business processes and workflows; and identify, develop and implement areas for streamlining and improvements, including automation and systems controls, to reduce manual tasks and controls.
- Train and provide ongoing education to ensure awareness of, compliance with, and uniform implementation of program, University, state, and funding agency regulations, business process policies, procedures and systems. Review and assure all departmental policies are current.
- Train, develop, and provide technical consultation related to existing business process and process improvement.
- Develop and manage internal control procedures to ensure program compliance within assigned programs/units.
- Oversee and support Compensation Review Committee submissions.
- Develop excellent working knowledge of the Unit’s business model
- Play key role in new business opportunity assessments, to include assisting program areas with financial aspects of business proposals, pricing models, and other activities as needed to meet client needs and commitments in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Work with key staff from operations, finance, marketing, and systems on new business initiatives and strategic planning.
- Collaborate with the representatives of the School, CWM Sr. Staff and CWM Finance to define and prioritize departmental strategy and direction. Identify trends, appraise cause and effect, and evaluate and highlight opportunities to improve department performance.
- Liaison with staff responsible for daily transactional business operations.
- Adhere to University, State, and funding agency regulations.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or equivalent business experience.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in a financial related position.
- Expertise to acquire, manage and analyze financial documents and results.
- Ability to work with staff at various levels to ensure effective operations to maintain accurate records and use discretion in handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to meet reporting deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (Microsoft Access and Excel).
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Experience with pricing models and business proposals.
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to handle details, multi-task and prioritize work.
- Ability to work in a team environment providing high quality customer service.
- High level of diplomacy and discretion.
- Previous experience working with PeopleSoft
- Previous experience working with Grants