Healthcare Data Analyst II – MHE
MassHealth is seeking a highly motivated, experienced analytics professional to join our agency as a Healthcare Data Analyst II - MHE. This critical role is part of a team that provides analytical support to MassHealth’s leadership especially in the area of healthcare policy decision-making. With minimal supervision from the Analytics Manager the Healthcare Data Analyst II - MHE will perform complex data analysis and is responsible for data mining as well as standard and ad-hoc report and dashboard development and production. The Analyst II will be a key contributor to high visibility projects related to the administration of MassHealth programs and will work with program staff at every level of the agency. This exciting opportunity is based at the MassHealth (Office of Medicaid) North Quincy location which is easily accessible by public transportation.Responsibilities
- Conducts advanced data mining in a timely and accurate manner as required by the program/project.
- Produces standard and adhoc analyses and reports using a variety of data which support the development, implementation and monitoring of programs/projects.
- Integrates and/or manipulate large datasets from data sources (e.g. claims and encounter data) to support analyses using MS Excel, Access, SAS, SQL, COGNOS, and Business Objects.
- Deploys standard qualitative and quantitative analysis techniques utilizing software packages such as SAS, SQL or Atlas.ti.
- Contributes to the design of project-specific analytic plans, data manipulation and collection efforts; may include: claims analysis, interviews, focus groups, and surveys involving clients, state agency personnel, and other key informants.
- Utilizes and creates standard testing measures and/or algorithms to test and analyze large amounts of data.
- Designs and develops data collection instruments, databases and procedure manuals based on thorough knowledge of data files, related databases, and systems integration.
- Participates in the design and implementation of data management strategies/techniques and quality control procedures, including writing technical requirements and documentation of data sets.
- Produces and submits data analysis reports. Develops methods and results narratives to be included in broader scientific reports developed by senior staff.
- Ensures accuracy of all data analyses, reports and other deliverables by conducting thorough quality control checks and resolving discrepancies.
- Provides interpretation of data for key stakeholders and leadership; including identifying and reporting data patterns and abnormalities. May be required to produce tabular and graphic summaries of analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals as well as for presentation at scientific meetings.
- Schedules coordinates, and reviews activities related to data collection and analysis to meet deadlines.
- Communicates with all appropriate parties to ensure that the project’s objectives, scope, and expected deliverables of each project phase are understood. Facilitate communication of the project’s status, budget, costs, issues, and related information to same.
- Provides some guidance and training to more junior data staff as needed to help ensure accuracy and timeliness of deliverables.
- Reviews and monitors compliance with the federal and state regulations.
- Bachelor's Level Degree or equivalent
- Degree in a business, health sciences, or a related field; or equivalent
- 4-6 years of related experience; including at least one year of healthcare data analysis
- Demonstrated experience/skills in appropriate computer, statistical or database applications including SAS/SQL, Business Objects, Cognos or similar
- Strong attention to detail and time management/organization skills to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to research issues and resources
- Demonstrated ability to write reports, journal articles and/ or other technical documents
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact successfully with a wide range of individuals
- Master’s Level Degree
- In a public policy, public administration, economics, health care administration, epidemiology, statistics or a related field.