Groundskeeper II, Facilities Services
Job Status:Open Title:Groundskeeper II, Facilities Services Opportunity Type:Full-time Position Type:Career Service Position Classification:Non-Exempt Home Department:Facilites Pay Grade:C0 Closing Date:04/16/2021 Overview:
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live.
Compensation: Salary is $28,620.80.Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.Description:
The Grounds Department within Facilities Services is responsible for the overall maintenance and routine care of approximately 255 acres including the Santa Fe College Northwest campus, as well as the college’s six (6) educational centers. The Grounds Department seeks a Groundskeeper to maintain the aesthetic quality and appearance of the College’s grounds and landscaping.
The Groundskeeper performs physical labor in all types of weather conditions relating to the upkeep and maintenance of lawns, trees, shrubs, flowerbeds as well as other landscaping and grounds elements. The Groundskeeper is responsible for identifying, selecting, mixing, and applying chemical or manual solutions for control of weeds, insects and/or pests.Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain grounds by cutting, mowing, edging, and trimming grass, plants, and shrubberies.
- Plant flowers, trees and shrubs; transplant and mulch as necessary.
- Prune shrubs and trees using the appropriate technique according to the type of plant.
- Keep grounds free of debris, leaves, brush and weeds from areas such as walks, stairs, roadways, and parking facilities.
- Identify common landscape weeds and apply control measures
- Monitor and maintain the watering needs of the grounds.
- Maintain college pathways and roads, cleaning drains, and sweeping and blowing debris.
- Implement landscape improvement projects using appropriate plants and landscape material.
- Operate equipment pertinent to completion of all grounds and landscape tasks including but not limited to, mowers, weed eaters, blowers, tractors, chain saws, and hand tools.
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- May help with set-ups for school related functions.
- Gather and remove litter and trash from all areas of college grounds.
- Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards.
- Work safely and effectively around the public.
- Assist other trades as needed.
- Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Grounds SuperintendentQualifications:
Required: High School diploma or equivalent with at least one (1) year of closely related work experience is required.
Additional Requirements: Current Department of Environmental Protection applicator license for indoor/outdoor pest control is required or must be obtained within six (6) month of employment. Applicants must have a valid Florida Driver License and be authorized to drive for the college (Driving Requirements). A criminal background check will be conducted.
Preferred: Experience maintaining large grounds is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
- Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application through the job portal to be considered for this position. Submitting an up-to-date resume is optional but preferred. Official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.