Area CoordinatorPosting Number:
Full-timeIs this a temporary Position?:
NoJob Description Summary:
Leadership and supervision of House Advisors and mentors
- Administer the selection and training of House Advisors (HAs)
- Supervise House Advisors
- Conduct weekly meetings
- Schedule duties
- Assisting in processing residents who have violated policies as needed
- Oversee the selection process and housing assignments of mentors from upper-class Honors and Clarkson School Alumni; supervise mentors.
- Work with HAs and mentors to coordinate programming within residences.
- Understand and implement consistently and fairly the University’s and TCS/Honors policies and procedures. Recommend policy changes and develop procedures to improve student life.
- Supervise housing security, ensuring HAs implement safety processes including fire drills and health and safety inspections, and screening housing guests.
- Exercise judgment and discretion to assure that students are safe and that confidential information is handled appropriately.
- Participate in the on-call rotation for emergency problems. Manage situations requiring staff intervention, responding to incidents in person or by phone, as needed. Ensure communication with appropriate authorities. Arrange transportation to after-hours health care at the emergency room as needed.
Housing regulations and student conduct system
- Clearly communicate the University’s and TCS/Honors’ policies to student staff and residents of campus housing.
- Help students develop roommate contracts and mediate minor conflicts between students in TCS/Honors housing.
- Coordinate room changes if necessary.
- Deal with minor personal difficulties of students and make referrals to counselors or other staff as appropriate.
- Inform Associate Director of Student Affairs and Alumni Relations.
- Monitor incident reports filed by House Advisors and respond appropriately.
- Refer serious violations, such as threats of violence, drugs, alcohol, sexual harassment, and racial discrimination, to appropriate authorities.
- Where appropriate, issue verbal warnings and written warnings for lower level conduct violations, maintaining records and communicating with students and parents, as required.
- Assist in the gathering of information for student conduct cases and participate in the Disciplinary Committee to adjudicate and determine appropriate sanctions.
- Participate in the on-call rotation with University Area Coordinators, responding appropriately to situations according to University policies on student conduct.
Assist students in the transition to college
- Encourage self-discipline, self-advocacy, and respect for individual rights among residents.
- Maintain a high level of visibility making every effort to get to know residents, organizing and attending community activities. Provide positive example of personal conduct and professional attitude.
- Coordinate and implement inclusive programming that fosters personal, academic and community wellness, and a sense of individual belonging for all students in TCS/Honors.
Liaise with University staff
- Act as liaison to University Residence Life regarding housing assignments, opening and closing of residential facilities. Attend regular meetings and participate in relevant trainings of residence life staff.
- Act as liaison to Facilities Management and custodial staff regarding residential facilities work orders and ongoing maintenance.
- Perform other related duties as requested by Associate Director of Student Affairs and Alumni Relations, Associate Head of School and Head of School/Director of the Honors Program.
- Performance of the above duties require you to be at work.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience in residence life and/or student affairs
- Graduate work and/or advanced degree in student affairs, educational administration, or an academic field.
- Professional experience in residence life and/or student affairs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, bend and stoop. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Clarkson is committed to complying with the guidelines set forth under the Americans with Disabilities Act.Close Date:
04/01/2021Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions for this Posting:
An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Clarkson University actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women and people with disabilities.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).Maximum Number of Reference Requests:
3Minimum Number of Reference Requests: