Lecturer - Social Work
Lecturer - Social WorkPosting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
44.07 - Social WorkFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary upon hire is $54,461.Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/2021Term of Appointment:
9 months per academic year, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Felicia JensenResponsible HR User:
Britt PirkerJob Summary:
The School of Social Work at Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a faculty at the rank of Lecturer for the 2021-2022 academic school year. This position has a nine-month academic year appointment with potential for summer teaching assignments. The contract is renewable annually dependent on performance, need, and funding.
The School is a part of the College of Social Sciences, which offers opportunities for creative interdisciplinary teaching and research. The BASW and MSW programs prepare students for generalist and advanced generalist social work practice in both rural and urban communities, offering elective courses in such areas of practice as behavioral health, aging, child welfare, healthcare, disabilities, and domestic violence.
Successful candidates will have teaching responsibilities in both the BASW and MSW programs. The faculty member is expected to teach social work practice courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels. All faculty are expected to teach in our hybrid programs, which requires proficiency or willingness to learn to develop and teach courses using the university’s online platform and to employ online teaching methods and tools. There will likely be occasional travel to our satellite teaching sites in Everett, WA, located on the western side of the state. All faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
We are seeking candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas. (Please clearly identify your area(s) of expertise in your letter of application.)
1. Microsystemic practice with advanced clinical knowledge and skills in behavioral and/or mental health/trauma-informed care.
2. Children, youth and families in any practice setting, including child welfare.
Screening will begin in mid-April 2021. This position has a nine-month academic year appointment with potential for summer teaching assignments. The contract is renewable annually dependent on performance, need, and funding.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
The required start date for this position is 09/16/2021. To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/16/2021.
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-22, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. You may access this document at the link provided below:
EFA for Lecturer of Social Work
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- An MSW degree from a CSWE accredited program or the international equivalent;
- A minimum of two years post-MSW degree direct social work practice experience;
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching, which may be evidenced by providing training or supervision in the workplace; and
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in an online format using synchronous and asynchronous components;
- Practice experience supported by a record of accomplishments that address the following needs:
- Leadership, supervision and/or administration in any for agency and community practice in any practice setting;
- Children, youth and families in any practice setting including child welfare;
- Microsystemic practice with advanced clinical knowledge and skills
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting social justice through teaching and community service activities.
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities.Posting Date:
03/31/2021Open Until Further Notice:
NoScreening to Begin:
04/16/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
Position is open until further notice; screening will in mid-April. All materials will be held in the strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
- Cover letter: please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence: Attach evidence of effective teaching to include teaching evaluations if available for the most recent two years. Student evaluations should not include the original evaluation materials, but should be limited to 3rd party summaries.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Additional optional links: if you have additional documents that serve as evidence of how you meet the qualifications, you may upload those items to the optional links labeled Other Document #1 and Other Document #2.
100Responsibility / Duty:
Teaching a 45 credit workloadEssential Function Indicator: