Painter - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Apr 1, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
Position ID:: 129632
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
POSITION TITLE: Painter
Reports to: Building Superintendent
Summary of Position:
This position performs a variety of skilled work in the preparation of surfaces for painting; mixing and applying paints or other surface coatings. This position supports the Mission statement of Mills College by delivering excellent support and services to students, staff and faculty. Through its operational excellence, it advances the initiatives of the strategic plan, by ensuring goals are established, monitored and measured to meet the plan's timelines and objectives. This position plays a significant role in supporting sustainability programs and creating a vibrant and inclusive campus life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Executes assigned work orders in an accurate and timely fashion. Records completion in facilities work order system.
- Prepares various surfaces for painting; utilizes brush, roller or airless sprayer to apply a variety of surface coverings such as paint, varnish, shellac, primers, lacquers, enamels and thinners.
- Refinishes and/or repaints wood, metal, furniture or other equipment; applies primer, undercoats and finish coats.
- Lays out and paints by hand or power equipment lines for parking lots and athletic fields; stencils names and numbers on doors. Paints curbs, stripes roads and crosswalks.
- Cleans and maintains brushes, tools and other equipment.
- Performs periodic maintenance inspections of interior and exterior buildings and painted surfaces; replaces caulking as needed.
- Locates and acquires paint and other supplies necessary for maintenance of surfaces. Hangs sheetrock; tapes, prepares patch and textures drywall.
- Operates appropriate equipment for removal of paint, preparing surfaces or roughing slick surfaces; pressure washes exterior of buildings as needed.
- Assists in performing other skilled maintenance duties, including the installation of signs and moving furniture.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with outside painting contractors when job scope is too large to complete with existing staff.
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in painting work.
- Preparation of materials and surfaces.
- Lock parts including different types of locks.
- Safety standards and procedures when applying paints and other coatings.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Meet or exceed the college's attendance and tardiness guidelines.
- Estimate material costs for projects
- Maintain inventories for work area
- Work in crews or independently.
- Understand and follow directions and complete work assignments on schedule. ? Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
Education and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Any combination equivalent to: training in a painter apprenticeship program and five years journey-level painting experience.
- Valid California Driver's License with no restrictions
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects up to 50lbs.
- Climbing ladders, scaffolding and roofs. Working at heights.
- Reaching above shoulders, overhead and horizontally.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching. Standing for extended periods of time. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate hand and power tools and equipment.
- Visual acuity to perform the work.
- Indoor and outdoor environment. Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions. Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Exposure to fumes from paints and solvents.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Hourly rate is $23.00 per hour, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review).
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.