Academic Programs Associate, School of Education and Human Development
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-31
The School of Education and Human Development (EHD) seek applicants for an Academic Programs Associate for the Department of Leadership, Foundations, and Policy (EDLF). Under the direction of the EDLF Department Administrator, the incumbent engages with program coordinators and faculty to liaise with students in support of recruitment, matriculation, academic success, programming, graduation, and alumni engagement. With a high-level understanding of program content, the incumbent offers direction and support for prospective and current masters students and prospective doctoral students.
- Collaborate and partner with the School of Education and Human Development’s (SEHD) Student Affairs Office, the SEHD’s Online Support team and the SEHD’s Career Services Office in order to best meet student and faculty needs. Ensure that students are connected with University and SEHD resources as necessary.
- Assist program coordinators and faculty with master’s student admissions, application review process, orientation planning, student extracurricular programming (as needed), academic advising, and career advising.
- Organize recruitment events, conduct information sessions, webinars, and coordinate visits for prospective students.
- Develop and implement, in coordination with the Admissions and Student Affairs Offices and program coordinators/faculty, a comprehensive onboarding process for newly admitted/matriculating masters students.
- Support course registration and assist master’s students to ensure they are on track with their academic plans.
- Coordinate career exploration and development activities including job search help, mock interviews, and resume/cover letter review workshops.
- Ensure program-specific support is provided, such as managing the Higher Ed internship program and planning/executing the Mock Interview Day.
- Serve as the conduit between students and program faculty/program coordinators by engaging daily to assist with ongoing and longitudinal academic, co-curricular, and alumni assessment efforts.
- Respond regularly to student communication, maintain an up-to-date communication log, website materials, and develop new and enhances existing resources for doctoral and master’s students as needed.
- Work both independently and by the direction of the department administrator, in collaboration with the program coordinators and program faculty.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of experience in a higher education setting in advising, admissions, or career counseling is required.
- Master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling, or related field with at least 2 years advising, admissions or career counseling experience is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Proficient computer skills, including website management and survey applications.
- Ability to work effectively with prospective and current students, internship supervisors, program alumni, faculty, and other program constituents.
- Multicultural awareness and competence, and ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Advising skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to conduct and evaluate assessments.
- Knowledge of trends in higher education graduate programs, career development, and higher education careers and networks.
- Knowledge of career advising practices
- Proficient in Slate, SIS, and CMS software
- Proficient in video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require walking to attend meetings and programs.
Anticipated Salary Range: $45,000 - $47,000 annually (commensurate with qualifications and experience) with UVA benefits.
Application review will begin April 12th. Please apply through Workday, and search for “Academic Programs Associate". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and a CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile. For questions about the application process please contact Bethany Case, Recruiter.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.