Lab & Research Technician 2 in Pharmacology (Bland Lab)
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-31
Lab and Research Technician 2 employees provide increasingly complex technical support for projects and may engage in increasingly complex scientific experiments. May handle more sophisticated administrative and logistical tasks. Lab and Research Technician 2 employees operate under supervision with a degree of independence when following set protocols and procedures.
The Department of Pharmacology is seeking a Lab and Research Technician 2 to assist investigators with experiments to identify genes that modulate growth in response to infection and innate immune signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. The individual will be expected to carry out genetic crosses and analyze phenotypes using techniques including but not limited to: RT-qPCR, fluorescence microscopy, Western blotting, and ELISA.
Experimental Work (80%)
1. Carry out and supervise a genetic screen to identify new genes linking infection and animal growth. 2. Maintain Drosophila stocks. 3. Perform assays to measure triglycerides, glycogen, and hormone levels. 4. Perform Western blotting. 5. Carry out immunofluorescence experiments and use a confocal microscope to collect images. 6. Assist in data analysis.
Lab Maintenance and General Duties (20%)
1. Maintain a detailed laboratory notebook. 2. Maintain a clean laboratory area and assist with overall laboratory maintenance. 3. Make buffers and other reagents. 4. Be available to assist principal investigator and other lab members as needed.
- Perform similar duties to the Technician 1, such as performing analyses, participating in research or clinical work involving treatment operations and experiments with animals to include care and feeding, cage cleaning and sanitization, and observation during post-operative or treatment periods, and maintaining equipment and apparatuses.
- Coordinate and participate in a variety of routine technical duties by providing assistance to clinical and research staff in testing, determinations, and experiments.
- Assist in evaluating research methods, procedures, and techniques, based on established objectives.
- Provide basic assistance to researchers in manipulating, computing, and analyzing data using specialized statistical computer software.
- May perform certain surgical procedures on small lab animals.
- Assist with training other staff members on procedures; may supervise students or volunteers.
- Assist Principal Investigators and senior staff in developing new strategies and techniques for experimentation.
- Technician 2 employees in Social Sciences and Humanities will provide routine, technical, and administrative support to research projects.
- May contact and coordinate schedules with study subjects, handle information intake, and record and track results.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Associate’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline plus two years of experience in an academic or industrial laboratory setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline by the time of appointment (late May/early June 2021) will be considered in lieu of experience.
- Previous laboratory experience with Drosophila genetics, protein analysis (Western blotting) and molecular biology (PCR, recombinant DNA work) is preferred.
- Experience with analysis of RNA-sequencing data is beneficial, and experience with Microsoft Office is expected.
The Selected candidate will have to successfully complete a background check prior to employment per University policy.
* This is a restricted position continuation is dependent on funding and satisfactory performance *
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0022982".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for “R0022982”
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. ***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, email@example.com
This position can spend extensive periods of time standing and squatting while conducting experiments or caring for animals. Also requires keyboarding and other bench work and animal procedures requiring finer finger manipulation.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.