Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-31
The University of Virginia Police Department is looking for Security Corporal applicants who want to serve the community and help keep the University and surrounding area safe.
As a Security Corporal at one of the nation’s top public universities, you will be serving in a vibrant community with a variety of culture, recreation and entertainment opportunities – suitable for families and young professionals.
UPD takes pride in being a leader in community-based, progressive approaches toward safety. The department supports its employees and encourages them to introduce creative and innovative ways to promote public safety, engage the community and be a leader on grounds.
At UPD, Security Corporals are un-armed, uniformed non-sworn employees who play an integral role in the overall safety and security at the University.
- Engage in community service through fair and impartial practices. Decisions and enforcement will not be predicated on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
- Serve as a member of the supervisory team for the UPD security division.
- Patrol designated areas to identify, report, and, when reasonable and possible, resolve security issues on Grounds and at the Hospital.
- Report suspicious and criminal activities and activities requiring additional personnel to the appropriate police agency.
- Generate reports and conduct traffic control functions as needed.
- May assist law enforcement officers with securing crime scenes, provide security services for special assignments, such as sporting events and concerts.
- Operate under the supervision of a Security Sergeant and serve as additional eyes and ears to University police officers.
- Supervise employees in absence of the Security Sergeant.
- Act as a campus security authority as defined by the federal Jeane Clery Disclosure Act.
- Act as a responsible employee under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which includes timely reporting of incidents of sexual harassment/misconduct
- Applicants must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a security position.
- Ability to supervise and train new officers.
- A Valid Virginia driver’s license is required with a positive points balance OR the ability to obtain a Virginia driver’s license within the first 90 days of employment.
- A demonstrated ability to be responsive, approachable, and provide courteous engagement with the community is essential.
- Applicants must possess strong oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to accurately write reports and testify in court.
- The ability to maintain a calm, balanced perspective, and successfully complete duties in a stressful situation is required, as is the ability to analyze situations and use good judgment.
- Applicants must be comfortable with working in a variety of environments including outdoors, in the hospital, and in other University facilities.
The Selected candidate will have to successfully complete a background check prior to employment per University policy.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0023234".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for “R0023234”
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for 3 references
***Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. ***
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Academic Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.