Assistant Director, Human Resources
Assistant Director, Human Resources
Job Number: 89016
Stanford's Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford's Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletics program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 127 NCAA championship titles, won the Women's Capital One Cup four of the last five years, and have brought home the Learfield Director's Cup for 25 straight years. We also support the university's physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the DAPER culture, “The DAPER Way,” which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage and Work Cohesively.
Stanford Recreation and Wellness is aligned with the pioneering spirit of Stanford University. We are committed to bold and purposeful engagement where sport, recreation, and wellness combine to create a campus and workplace where everyone's well-being flourishes. As part of the country's leading collegiate athletic department, we work cohesively, lead with courage, pursue and revere excellence, and ignite a culture of wellbeing through moving, adventuring, playing, belonging, learning, and cultivating equity the best we can. We are building a community that is inclusive and a diverse team that is committed to excellence. We take risks. We are willing to lead. We do the right thing. We create innovative solutions. We promote a culture of gratitude and recognition. We have fun. If that sounds like you, join us.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
The Assistant Director will provide human resources administration support to Recreation & Wellness and other units as assigned within DAPER. This position will act as the initial point of contact for assigned human resources inquiries, and serve as a resource to staff and coaches on human resources policies, procedures, and practices. The Assistant Director will report to the Associate Athletics Director and Director, Human Resources (“Director”) and work closely with the Executive Director, Recreation & Wellness to review, determine, and implement best practices in facilitating the human resources goals and priorities for the department. Responsibilities are varied and complex requiring a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, independent judgment, and initiative.
Your job responsibilities will include -
Talent Acquisition and Management:
- Facilitate the recruitment process for benefits-eligible (including academic appointments) and contingent positions by advising hiring managers on best practices that attract and develop high-potential, diverse talent
- Collaborate with department hiring managers to draft job descriptions and evaluation criteria, review/update job postings
- Process all job postings, for both full-time and contingent staff, on both the Stanford Careers website and external sites
- Administer background checks in accordance with University policies
- Manage application materials, answer complex inquiries, complete candidate screening, facilitate interviews, conduct feedback calibration and deliver communications between candidate and department
- Complete pre-hire steps necessary to onboard new employees
- Support the design and standardization of onboarding and exiting processes for employees across the department
Employment and Compliance:
- Coordinate the communication and management of the annual performance coaching process.
- Manage the job classification review process in conjunction with the Director, and collaborate with the assigned Compensation partner for DAPER
- Support and implement compliance programs including but not limited to Protect Minors, Mandated Reporter, Campus Security Authority, Harassment Prevention
- Point of contact for employee relations issues; interpret human resources policies and collaborate with the Director and unit leadership on all employee relations concerns
- Work with the Director and unit leadership to support effective organizational changes pertaining to staffing structure, titles, and total compensation
- Support continuous performance coaching processes and enhancing professional development opportunities for staff
- Serve as point of contact for payroll inquiries for all benefits-eligible and contingent exempt and non-exempt employees
- Serve as the unit's time and leave administrator
- Process and reconcile personnel-related financial transactions for all benefits-eligible and contingent employees
- Process payroll transactions for new hires, termination, one-time payments, salary advances, bonuses, late payments, step increases, etc.
- Manage HRIS data management activities; monitor personnel action reporting to ensure data integrity and compliance; investigate and resolve all payroll errors
Leaves of Absence and Workers' Compensation:
- In coordination with the Disability and Leave Services (DLS) Specialist, manage short and long-term disability, Workers' Compensation and leaves of absence cases
- Maintain ongoing communication with DLS group, claims administrators, vendors, managers and employees throughout process
- Engage the Director in complex, sensitive, or high-risk situations
Camps & Clinics:
- Manage hiring and other employment transactions for assigned camps and clinics including payroll, timekeeping, etc. for Recreation & Wellness and other DAPER units as assigned
- Create and maintain up-to-date files: personnel, worker's compensation, confidential, leave, recruitment, etc.
- Develop and maintain a variety of reports and queries; analyze and monitor data to recommend and implement processes and practice improvements
- Assist with projects: employment surveys, performance reviews, gender equity, and other University initiatives
- Participate in special projects, such as recognition programs, diversity initiatives, and training sessions. Assist with morale efforts: holiday party, tailgates, monthly birthday celebrations, etc.
- Provide day-to-day supervision of the Human Resources Interns and/or student employees
Additional duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will have -
Associate degree and four years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates our shared humanity.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and understanding of group dynamics; successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse client group
- Demonstrated experience applying and interpreting human resources policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently, consistently follow through with projects and assignments, and meet deadlines; experience successfully managing programs and/or projects
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, judgment, and influencing skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training; ability to draft effective correspondence and documentation
- Skilled in human resources management systems such as, PeopleSoft and time/leave systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Excel)
Other desired qualifications include -
- Previous experience in a complex, dynamic, fast paced and high-volume environment
- Knowledge of, and experience with, California labor and employment laws
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford's intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for ensuring that his/her/their involvement with Athletics Department activities maintains the integrity of the University's reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
* The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4571
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 89016
Location: Athletics, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency