Assistant Professor Mechanical Design, Tenure Track
Date: April 1, 2021
Title: Assistant Professor Mechanical Design, Tenure Track
Position Number: 1127
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Compensation: $55, 498 (Bachelor’s degree), $59,941 (Master’s degree), $65,241 (Ph.D.)
Reflects Fall 2021 negotiated salary.
Start Date: Fall 2021
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Workforce Development
Closing date: April 8, 2021
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development; and provide service to our students, the college and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as work associated with the School of Workforce Development and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrated outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles, and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
- Teach classes in the Mechanical Design Program within the Mechanical and Architectural Design Department, including but not limited to: engineering graphics (all levels), parametric modeling applications, tool design, die design, mechanical concepts.
- Instruct high school students in a middle college program.
- Teaching required at GRCC, and other Kent Intermediate School District locations.
- Assist with Perkins documentation at a High School level.
- Serve as the content expert in the Mechanical Design area in order to lead the program through updates and revisions.
- Demonstrate proficiency using CAD software to produce solid models, assemblies, animations, simulations, detail and assembly drawings. GRCC currently uses AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro-E, Catia.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of new curricula related to mechanical design, parametric modeling, 3D scanning and reverse engineering.
- Teaching required at multiple GRCC regional sites downtown campus and other satellite locations.
- Incorporate new technologies and methods for enhanced teaching and learning into instructional methods.
- Effectively assess, document, and advise students regarding their academic performance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a learning centered environment in the classroom.
- Engage in on-going professional development to maintain expertise in the field and communicate outcomes with faculty and administration.
- Maintain professional licensure, certifications, professional organization membership.
- Advise students on curriculum, academic programs, and employment and career goals.
- Participate in departmental student academic advising plans.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of abilities.
- Contribute to the growth and development of the Program and the College by participating in academic program review; curriculum development, evaluation and revision; committee membership; department and advisory committee meetings.
- Assist the Department Head in the preparation of reports and other required documents.
- Contribute to program accreditation processes and reports as determined by the Department Head.
- Assist in marketing and promoting of departmental and college programs and events.
- Promote the department by creating partnerships with state and local communities, businesses and schools.
- Lead, advise and support adjunct faculty to ensure consistent standards and instructional practices within each course.
- Adhere to college processes, policies and contractual obligations
- Support the College’s Strategic Plan through departmental and college action projects as appropriate.
- Support the department and the college through other work normally expected of GRCC faculty members.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area required.
- Master’s degree in related area preferred.
- Preferred parametric software certification.
- Training and/or certification to teach on-line, virtual, or hybrid classes preferred.
- Minimum two years/4000 hours of combine experience in current industry experience required in a Mechanical Design or Engineering related field.
- Successful post-secondary teaching and/or corporate training experience, within the past 2 years required.
- Successful high school teaching experience within the past two years required.
- Preferred experience in academic program and curriculum design.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
- Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- Demonstrated initiative, and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Travel to offsite locations will be required.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, CV/resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 8, 2021. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.