Associate Director, Operations
Sch Middle E/N African StudiesDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Associate Director, Operations is a university staff position responsible for all the operational and administrative functions of the MENAS externally-funded Arabic programs. This position supervises all staff across all the programs, works with internal offices and external partners, and ensures effective outcomes within university policies and procedures. The incumbent reports to the Director of Flagship Programs, and also has a reporting relationship to the Assistant Dean for Business-Finance of the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supports the Director of externally-funded Arabic Programs on any operational needs of the programs and grants.
- Manages the day-to-day operational and administrative activities across all funded Arabic programs to meet program and grant requirements.
- Supervises, trains, mentors, and backs up all staff positions in the externally-funded Arabic programs.
- Ensures all laws, policies, and procedures are followed across all levels.
- Develops strategic planning and data-driven assessments of transparent operations.
- Works with the business center on grant management and financial reporting.
- Ensures execution and evaluation of grant programs and activities.
- Ensures timely and proper reporting for various grants.
- Works on all logistical matters relating to events and programming.
- Helps to identify funding opportunities and works with the Director and colleagues on grant proposals.
- Works with Business Center on timely and accurate fulfillment of all financial obligations, and compensation and hiring of personnel.
- Liaises with university offices like UA Global, Bursar’s Office, Human Resources, Sponsored Projects, Study Abroad, etc.
- Ensures proper execution of contracts with external/international vendors.
- Ensures smooth communication between externally-funded Arabic programs and the School of MiddleEastern & North African Studies.
- Collaborates with SBS Marketing/Communications on managing all marketing, communications, social media, promotional materials, web sites for all Arabic programs.
- Works with SBS Tech on any equipment or technical needs for all Arabic activities.
- Works with Assistant Dean of Business-Finance on proper spending of grant funds and internal reporting.
- Excellent office administration and technology skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication.
- Organizational skills and flexibility.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operations, Business Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of five years administrative/operational experience, including 2 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Master's Degree in Operations or related field.
- Seven years of administrative/operational experience including 3 years of managerial experience.
- Experience working with large grants.
- Experience with general finance and budgeting and financial management.
- Experience working in academic environments.
- Experience working in teams and collaborating with multiple stakeholders.
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Organizational AdministrationBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$60,000 - $65,000Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
9Career Stream and Level:
Administrative OperationsJob Function:
Organizational AdministrationType of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to job duties)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
4/26/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Randa Abdu, Administrative Assistant
4/1/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.