HR Assistant II, Harshbarger-Mines Business Center (HMBC)
Chemical & Environmental EngrDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Harshbarger-Mines Business Center (HMBC) seeks an enthusiastic and motivated human resources professional to join its team. The business center provides financial, human resources, and administrative support to four academic departments within the College of Engineering: Chemical and Environmental Engineering; Civil and Architectural Engineering Mechanics; Materials Science and Engineering; and Mining and Geological Engineering. This position requires a person with initiative and the ability to work in a collaborative, dynamic, and complex work environment. This is a new position and the successful candidate will join a three person team that supports all HR functions of our departments. We offer a great opportunity for continued career development and advancement; the successful candidate will be coached and mentored by our personnel affairs coordinator.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance interpreting Arizona Board of Regents policies and University policies and procedures involving human resources activities such as employment, employment visas, affirmative action, employer and employee relations, salary administration, training and benefits.
- Assists with employment activities, including reviewing employment applications and resumes evaluating qualifications; providing assistance to hiring authorities and search committees regarding compliance with relevant University policies and procedures; and preparing and reviewing all hiring forms and documentation.
- Assists with new employee orientation and provides advice on departmental policies regarding employee time records, paid and unpaid leave and performance reviews.
- Maintains department’s employee records.
- Assists the Time Coordinator with time reporting and approval process.
- Initiate Grad Assistantship letters, verify student enrollment, review hire guidelines.
- Assist with International VISA process.
- Create transactions in UAccess for new hires, job changes, terminations, payment requests, visa date changes, Designated Campus Colleague (DCC) requests.
- Initiate DCC set up for visiting, non-employee access. Provide communication to International staff and visitors, verifying complete documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage critical tasks and thrive in a dynamic, complex work environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to convey information appropriately to a wide range of individuals.
- Thorough knowledge of UA HR policies and procedures.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Experience with UAccess Systems: Employee, Financials, Student, and Analytics.
- Experience working in a UA academic department or research center.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-4 years of experience in an HR related position.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Human ResourcesBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$14.38 - $19.96 (DOE)Compensation Type:
4Career Stream and Level:
HR GeneralistsJob Function:
Human ResourcesType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
5/3/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
4/1/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.