Human Resources Associate-College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, HR Service Center
Human Resources Associate
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
HR Service Center
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Human Resources Associate performs a variety of HR related duties in support of the faculty and administration for a number of units within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (College) Service Center. This position also performs HR related duties in support of College level Human Resources.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EMPLOYEE RECORD MANAGEMENT (employment transactions, files)
- Process new hires, changes to employee records, labor transfers, service-in-excess/lump sums, pay rate changes, additional appointments (including summer exemption forms) and/or re-appointments in the Human Resources Front End (HRFE); enter job transfers and separations in HRFE; enter C-FOAPALs, labor distributions, and transfers in HRFE; enters adjustments in PARIS and ANA
- Provide College level review for HRFE and ANA transactions; monitors compliance of appointment with College and Campus policies; work with units and Illinois Human Resources to resolve appointment transaction issues
- Serve as the primary approver for bi-weekly staff payroll, communicate leave practices and policies, and ensure compliance throughout the units served by the HR Service Center; may also provide timesheet initial entry, as appropriate
- Collect, review and submit academic vacation and sick leave
- Maintains comprehensive files, which may include confidential employee materials
EMPLOYMENT PROCESSES (Hiring, onboarding, separating)
- Coordinate with the unit contact, all search related hiring activity for all employee groups, by preparing and submitting hiring workflows in HireTouch, as appropriate; work closely with College HR and the Office of Access and Equity with respect to affirmative action plans and equal employment opportunity practices; advise the unit on best practices for searches; forwards faculty hires for Board of Trustees approval, as needed
- Provide unit contact with appropriate offer letter template; review draft offer letter and proposed salary recommendation; work within guidelines established by the appropriate collective bargaining agreement (as appropriate), Campus and State policies and rules and Campus and College procedures
- Interpret and apply policies and procedures related to visas (J-1, H-1, O-1, F-1 OPT, etc.), green card processing and paperwork; work closely with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, sponsoring faculty and business units, and foreign nationals throughout the various processes; convey foreign national and visa processing policies and proper procedures to faculty and staff within the College
- Facilitate, with appropriate Illinois Human Resources offices, special employment cases such as notice of non-reappointments and retention cases
- Conduct the onboarding process for new hires, including completing the I-9 form in Tracker and assisting employees with new hire forms
- Administer exit interviews, as requested, for units served by the HR Shared Services Center
LABOR & EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- Provide guidance to units on applicable collective bargaining agreement language, policies and rules and Provost Communications
- Provide guidance for leaves of absence and Family and Medical Leave Act requests
- Advise on policies related to Ethics, Title IX, ANCRA and Statement of Economic Interests; Report of Non-University activities; ensure compliance with annual trainings and reporting
- Intake and initial review of service in excess forms and summer exception forms; forward forms as appropriate for approval(s)
- May assist Director of Human Resources with data entry into Salary Planner
- May assist with the campus charitable fund drive and other College events
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Administration, Management, Organizational Administration, Public Administration, Labor Relations, Business Administration or a field closely related to the position and two years of work experience performing professional-level human resources duties.
Minimum of two years of progressive work experience that demonstrates strong ability to research, interpret and make recommendations based on HR policy. Experience working in a union environment and interpreting contract language. Experience with common computer applications and demonstrated ability to learn new programs. Experience providing human resources support and coordination at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. Experience in documentation, training, search and hire practices, visa processing, and/or appointments processing. Project management training and/or experience working on HR information systems projects
Successful candidates will have a proven track record of customer service to diverse clients; be results oriented with strong organizational and time management skills; possess excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communications skills; have the ability to interact with a broad array of internal and external constituents, and the ability to concurrently manage multiple complex tasks; have an awareness of, and sensitivity to, cultural and linguistic differences; commitment to diversity and inclusion; have knowledge of University and Campus policies related to Human Resources including but not limited to those listed in the Campus Administrative Manual, Provost’s Communications, and Policies and Rules; have knowledge of BANNER, HRFE, HireTouch, I-9 Tracker, ANA, PARIS, and Webi and have a working knowledge of University of Illinois business and human resources policies and procedures
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Human Resources Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Applications must be received by April 15, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Staci Wagers at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Category:2-Administrative Title:Human Resources Associate-College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, HR Service Center Open Date:04/01/2021 Close Date:04/15/2021 Organization Name:Administration Other