Research Engineer - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (143608)
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Position is located in Rantoul, Illinois
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Research Engineer. Reporting to the Principal Research Engineer, the Research Engineer will conduct technical testing at Illinois Center for Transportation, optimize research protocols, coordinate research efforts in both the laboratory and the field, calibrate and maintain research equipment. This position will also be involved in developing, instrumenting, and monitoring data collection for the Illinois Autonomous and Connected Track.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Conduct experiments in the laboratory and in the field following established safety guidelines and in accordance with applicable standard test methods and specifications, such as ASTM International, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (MSHTO) and the Illinois Department of Transportation.
- Sensing and data collection device installation, calibration and maintenance for autonomous vehicles and connected infrastructure.
- Perform material testing in both the laboratory and field, create and provide test result reports for industry sponsored projects through ICT's Industry Testing Services.
- Calibrate, maintain and repair research equipment and sensors/instruments utilizing ICT resources and by coordinating with outside entities.
- Maintain safe, clean and organized indoor and outdoor research areas, including laboratories, equipment and supply areas, and sample and specimen storage areas.
- Train researchers and students on testing and design procedures for safe laboratory practices and reliable test results, both in the ATREL research areas, I-ACT, and various field locations as needed.
- Coordinate verbally and in writing with sponsors, such as the Illinois Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, and other federal, state, and private sponsors; industry representatives; and researchers to ensure project goals are achieved.
- Design, review and/or execute research-testing plans, perform technical testing at the ATREL facility, I-ACT, and field locations, and perform data analysis, on an as-needed basis in coordination with researchers and students.
- Travel periodically as needed to attend meetings, conduct testing and execute research project tasks.
- Develop and deliver presentations of research findings to sponsors on an as-needed basis.
- Assume additional appropriate related research engineer duties to further the mission of ICT and the department.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- 1 year or more of experience in the following:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Execution of laboratory/experiments
- Sensing/data collection device installation, calibration, verification, and maintenance related to autonomous vehicles and/or connected infrastructure (V2V, V2I, V2X).
- Operating and/or programming with LabVIEW (or similar) software;
- Field and laboratory data acquisition systems, instrumentation and programming;
- Operation of servo-hydraulic testing equipment.
- 4 years or more of experience in the following:
- Experience working with faculty and students in an academic setting.
- Experience with sensing/data collection device installation, calibration and maintenance for autonomous vehicles and/or connected infrastructure (V2V, V2I, V2X).
- Experience in programming test and data acquisition routines with Lab VIEW software or similar software.
- Experience with execution of laboratory experiments on civil engineering materials including: testing of soils and aggregate, Portland Cement Concrete (PCC), and Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA); and other newly developed materials.
- Transportation project experience using servohydraulic testing systems.
- Transportation project experience with data acquisition systems, instrumentation and programming.
- Experience working in an accredited laboratory.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple duties simultaneously.
The Research Engineer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references in a single PDF by Friday, April 23, 2021. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jill Randell at [email protected]llinois.edu.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit “Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.”
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:The Grainger College of Engineering Category:6-Research Title:Research Engineer - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (143608) Open Date:03/31/2021 Close Date:04/23/2021 Organization Name:Civil and Environmental Eng