Unit Spaces and Technology Support Specialist - University Library (143713)
Unit Spaces and Technology Support Specialist
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
This position will assist in the day-to-day operations of the Media Commons and Scholarly Commons joint technology and media spaces, labs, and associated services. The position will provide troubleshooting and support, including patron requests and reservations, for all relevant spaces and services and will train, schedule, and budget the associated student workers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Space, Service, and Office Daily Operations
- Oversee daily operations of the spaces and technology of the unit and undergraduate student workers at the information desks.
- Assist with deployment and maintenance of technologies including all digital media and technology spaces connected with the Scholarly Commons and Media Commons.
- Provide orientation as-needed to patrons on digital media and emerging technology spaces across Commons locations.
- Help users with specialized technology in the space and troubleshoot problems with scanners, software, and workstations.
- Submit and monitor department requests to Library IT and Facilities for all department spaces and technology and communicate inside and outside the department about issues.
- Manage relevant documentation
- Create, implement, maintain, and document policies and procedures for all Commons spaces.
- Prepares documentation to provide user support for technology in the spaces.
- Monitor inventory and order needed supplies.
Provide orientation and training on all related technology and media spaces and services of unit
- Train and provide ongoing support to colleagues, including graduate assistants and undergraduate students related to technology in the space.
- Communicate with graduate assistants, Scholarly Commons staff, workshop instructors, and partners about schedule constraints and about the content of training sessions.
- Lead initial orientation to office, service spaces, and online presence of unit and answer ongoing questions.
- Oversee, schedule, and track budget for the Undergraduate hourlies.
- Assist in hiring undergraduate workers.
Initiate and coordinate reservations
- Coordinate Libcal calendars for all unit spaces, studios, and consultation rooms.
- Troubleshoot and resolve conflicts or overlap issues with calendars and consultation rooms and event space. Updates hours for all calendars as Library hours change.
- Oversee the handling of incoming patron request systems and studio consultations.
- Collaborate with users of event space to determine capabilities of space and most appropriate arrangement of furniture for events.
Build partnerships with staff colleagues, students, and faculty to incorporate digital media and technology making complex referrals
- Provide technical support and consultations in partnership with other Library experts, which includes conducting reference interviews with new users of digital research methods to determine underlying needs for technology and training.
- Investigate and determine the best help available to each user from our list of partners and services and make complex referrals to experts inside and outside the Library, including referrals to multiple specialists when a question is multi-faceted.
Participate in assessment of the unit space, technology, and services
- Collect statistics from campus and Library partners.
- Create reports annually and on-demand from the department’s reference, social media, and website usage statistics.
- Modify data collection methods in consultation with the unit head and other stakeholders.
- Two (2) years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT), Digital Media Technology, or related profession.
- College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, Digital Media Technology or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year, 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
- Demonstrated experience in technology spaces, services, and/or operations, multimedia systems and/or operations, or instructional media systems and/or operations.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar software.
- Experience operating a media or technology-related studio or space.
- Strong project management skills.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience working in a university or academic research library environment.
Successful Candidates will have:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of the systems and operations used within the areas and departments of responsibility.
- Ability to oversee and coordinate activities of user groups.
- Ability to identify and resolve technical problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate and professionally interact with all staff levels.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, Civil Service IT Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications must be received by April 16, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Kim Hutcherson, [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:University Library Category:8-Technical Title:Unit Spaces and Technology Support Specialist - University Library (143713) Open Date:03/31/2021 Close Date:04/16/2021 Organization Name:Undergraduate Library