Pharmacy Technician II-Inpatient Operations
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Location-Duke Hospital (Inpatient Operations), Durham, North Carolina
Perform under supervision a variety of technical duties related to the preparing and dispensing of drugs according to standard procedure.
Shift/hours: Rotating 06:30AM to 3:00PM or 3:00PM to 11:30PM.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare intravenous admixtures or other sterile products (including chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition).
- Fill physician orders/prescriptions, medication carts, or stock requisitions.
- Deliver medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas.
- Answer telephones and directs calls to appropriate personnel.
- Enter charges and credits for patient medications.
- Enter medication orders/prescriptions into the pharmacy computer system.
- Provide technical support for automated equipment (Pyxis Robotics).
- Maintain logs, records and other required documentation. File documentation in the appropriate location.
- Complete and document all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly. Identify and replace outdated and unusable drugs. Monitor assigned quality improvement indicators of individual or departmental performance. Stock medications and supplies; package medications as required for dispensing.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of drug names, basic math, medical terminology, basic computer skills.
- Ability to compound medications and admix intravenous products including antineoplastic drugs under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- Ability to work rotating shifts.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Work requires high school or equivalent. Successful completion of a formalized Pharmacy Technician program preferred.
Work requires a minimum of two years experience as a Pharmacy Technician plus completion of advanced competencies checklist as documented and approved by the Department of Pharmacy. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Pharmacy technician certification is required from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). North Carolina Board of Pharmacy registration is required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.