Web Services Analyst
PG190882EPInternal Recruitment :
Web Services AnalystAnticipated Hiring Range:
$68,000 - $78,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Outreach, Comm & ConsultingAbout the Department:
OIT’s Design & Web Services team, within the Outreach, Communications & Consulting unit, operates and maintains NC State’s enterprise-level public-facing web services. The Design & Web Services team develops custom-to-NC State tools for use by campus units, and develops software for connecting WordPress websites to other enterprise applications via APIs.
The team works closely with system administrators, the IT Accessibility Office, University Communications, and other campus partners to establish best practices for web hosting and content management. In addition, the team provides tier 2 & 3 support for web content creators, and creates resources to educate content creators on best practices.Essential Job Duties:
Primary duties of the Web Services Analyst include, but are not limited to the following:
- Requirements-gathering, analysis of solutions, and project/task management.
- Core updates to software in enterprise-level environments; testing and QA process improvements to guarantee uptime.
- Development and design operations, including development/deployment procedures and tooling; component design; and maintenance of a shared design pattern and template library.
- Development of custom solutions based on client/campus requirements.
- Evaluation and (if required) editing/re-write of existing code to meet specifications.
- Evaluation and implementation of emerging technologies, and assisting in strategies for releasing these to the higher ed community.
Documentation and User Support:
- Diagnostic and maintenance tasks in support of enterprise WordPress environments.
- Advanced client and campus support, including development of documentation and ServiceNow Knowledge articles.
- Tier 3 support of campus end-users.
Outreach and Training:
- Developing and leading workshops on best practices for web content creation and management.
- Collaborating and sharing information with other IT staff at NC State, including conference-style presentations or developer-focused how-to guides.
- Collaborating and sharing information with counterparts at other higher education institutions, both in North Carolina and nationwide.
- Participating in the broader WordPress and open source communities, with a special emphasis on local communities.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Day-to-day collaboration with the Design & Web Services team to develop shared code and best practices.
- Collaboration with the web campus community generally, and other development units specifically, to develop broad campus-wide services and solutions.
- Assist with other functions as needed or appropriate within the Outreach, Communications & Consulting unit.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Master’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with at least two years’ of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.
- Experience building templates or tools for a CMS (eg. WordPress, Drupal, etc). Knowledge of development practices for the WordPress block editor is a plus.
- Experience working in a diverse, team-oriented environment.
- Experience providing customer support and/or writing documentation for products and services.
- Experience with Git / GitHub (or equivalent source version control solution).
- Experience writing PHP, preferably object-oriented PHP. Knowledge of WordPress plugin development is a plus.
- Experience writing PHP unit tests, end-to-end tests, and/or configuring visual regression testing for websites or applications.
- Experience supporting a WordPress multisite network and building for the WordPress block editor.
- Experience leading training workshops, public speaking, or in-person technical support.
- Project and task management, including long-term planning and prioritization.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
03/31/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
514001 - Outreach, Comm & ConsultingAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.