PG190840EPInternal Recruitment :
Research AssistantAnticipated Hiring Range:
$41,000 - $48,000Work Schedule:
40 hours per week ( hours may vary)Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Biological SciencesAbout the Department:
The Department of Biological Sciences, within the College of Sciences at NC State University, is dedicated to research and teaching in a broad range of aspects of the biological sciences. The Department has strong undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral programs and substantial extramural support to develop and maintain integrative research programs. Additionally, the Department partners with other life sciences units across the University to enhance its mission to conduct interdisciplinary research and training programs. Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.Essential Job Duties:
- The Research Assistant will conduct research on sex differences in behavior. Research will focus on cross talk between sex chromosome genes and hormones. Research includes use of quantitative PCR, Chromatin immunoprecipitation and western blotting to assess changes in genes and proteins included by behavioral events. Research also includes use of carefully maintained stocks of genetically engineered mice.
- The Research Assistant is expected to develop data analysis pipelines using R and to do initial data analysis prior to publication. The Research Assistant will train undergraduates to do basic laboratory tasks such as washing glass wear. The Research Assistant will assist in writing manuscripts that are related to the research and will provide figures based on these data.
- The Research Assistant is expected to work independently to complete the aims of an NIH funded research project that is ongoing in the lab. His/Her/Their duties include record keeping, making buffers and other stock solutions, maintaining equipment, renewing Chemical Safety and Animal protocols. She/He/They will work as a team with undergraduate and graduate students to manage mouse colonies and conduct behavior studies. Standard molecular biology experiments will be conducted independently.
- Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree, or relevant Bachelor’s degree plus 3 or more years of independent research experience, or substantive relevant independent experience and education. May require terminal degree and licensure.
- Experience with DNA and RNA thermocyclers and LiCore machines for quantitative western blotting
NARequired License(s) or Certification(s):
NoneValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
03/31/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
172201 - Biological SciencesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.