PG190876EPInternal Recruitment :
Coordinator, FitnessAnticipated Hiring Range:
$43,000 - $45,000Work Schedule:
9:00AM - 6:00PM, Monday - Friday; regular evening and weekend hoursJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Wellness and RecreationAbout the Department:
Division of Academic and Student Affairs
We promote the success of the whole student. In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
NC State Wellness and Recreation empowers the Wolfpack community to thrive. Together, we explore and grow in these six elements of wellness: purpose, financial, physical, emotional, social and community. We value movement and inspire behaviors that improve health and well-being. Our programs, services and facilities enhance academic success by assisting students in developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond.
Our mission is to inspire a culture of wellness by providing premier, innovative and inclusive programs, services and facilities that promote healthy, active lifestyles to enhance student success.Essential Job Duties:
- NC State University is seeking an energetic, innovative, student-centered leader for the position of Coordinator, Fitness. We seek an individual with proven leadership experience capable of working as part of a fast-paced, results-oriented team. The candidate will empower student staff to create world-class wellness, recreation, and fitness programs, services, and facilities that promote and enhance student success inside and outside of the classroom. This position reports to the Assistant Director, Fitness.
- The Coordinator, Fitness will provide leadership and manage an innovative and growing collegiate fitness program that includes personal training, 50,000-square-feet of fitness center spaces, Exercise is Medicine program, fitness staff and special events. The candidate will ensure all fitness programs and equipment operate within required risk management procedures and oversee the implementation of safety standards.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and direct a personal training program that serves over 175 unique clients and more than 3,000 annual sessions. Independently manage day-to-day operations that include contacting and pairing clients, personal trainer evaluations, managing a fitness assessment center, equipment maintenance, repair, upgrade and replacement, and inventory control.
- Develop, implement, and update standard operating procedures and guidelines for personal training. Responsible for supervision (hiring, disciplining, terminating, performance evaluations) of more than 30 student personal trainers, and program assistants (equivalent to more than 8 FTE). Facilitate training, mentoring and continuing education opportunities for staff.
- Provide leadership and manage the daily operation of more than 50,000-square-feet fitness center spaces and fitness assistants. Independently manage the appearance and condition of fitness centers, fitness equipment, and related support areas.
- Lead training on fitness equipment, fitness space guidelines, enforcement procedures and departmental emergency action plan for all staff members.
- Develop, implement, and update standard operating procedures and guidelines. Responsible for supervision (hiring, disciplining, terminating, performance evaluations) of more than 120 student fitness assistants (equivalent to more than 15 FTE). Facilitate training, mentoring and continuing education opportunities for staff. Provide expert on-site supervision of staff.
- Assist with the development and administration of group fitness, small group training and wellness outreach areas, as needed.
- Instruct a nationally accredited Personal Trainer Certification Course for potential personal trainers each semester.
- Plan and assist in the implementation of special events, certification workshops and conferences.
- Research and apply current knowledge of strength and conditioning programming best practices.
- Conduct regular program assessments to determine satisfaction levels and areas of improvement.
- Participate in overall departmental assessment planning and goal setting. Maintain statistical data on all program areas, which includes participation counts, demographics, and program evaluations.
- Maintain a consistently friendly, clean, and safe working environment for staff and users.
- Assist with the development and execution of marketing strategies for fitness programs, services, and special events.
- Assist with the development and administration of the fitness program budget.
- Responsible for managing time and biweekly payroll for respective student staff.
- Complete financial and participation reports for the personal training program and events each semester.
- Provide expert on-site supervision of staff.
- Assist as needed in all required departmental functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in exercise science, kinesiology or a related field by date of hire.
- At least two years of experience with personal training program planning and implementation including fitness assessments and program design. This may include a graduate assistantship or 2 years of professional internship.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously with initiative, critical and creative thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, develop partnerships and work effectively as a member of a fast-paced, results-oriented team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of national trends and best practices in fitness programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of theories and practices in promoting student development and learning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and developing leaders through practical application and learning.
- Demonstrated success managing, supervising, and mentoring student employees.
- Demonstrated integrity, ethics, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles.
- Current American Red Cross CPR, AED and first aid.
- At least two years experience managing fitness spaces in a collegiate recreation environment. This may include a graduate assistantship.
- National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited personal training certification.
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
04/01/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide a copy of your cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
244040 - Wellness and RecreationAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.