Web Specialist, 30335
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36134
UMKC Division of Strategic Marketing and CommunicationsJob Description
The Web Specialist role in the UMKC division of Marketing and Communications supports the development and maintenance of various campus websites for university clients while upholding and advancing the university’s brand. Ideal candidates will have experience developing and troubleshooting websites, especially in the WordPress platform, although we are open to helping candidates with limited experience learn needed skill sets through hands-on mentorship.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Basic maintenance and support of WordPress websites, which could include theme and plugin troubleshooting, and content updates Build basic sites and webpages in WordPress and Cascade.Troubleshoot code issues in new or existing websites in WordPress using HTML and CSS.Ensure projects incorporate all stakeholder requirements, employ best practices in user interface, navigation, usability, accessibility, search engine optimization, and work in all browsers on all devices, including mobile devices.Communicate with clients and colleagues about visual concepts and web tools, translating technology into easily understood language.
- Work with clients and other team members (relationship managers, designers and project managers) to collaboratively and creatively address the needs of the university and the client. Research other websites and trends to recommend functionality to meet client needs.Test all websites across standard browsers and devices for functionality and for accessibility.Develop training documentation and provide instruction to users.
- Provide post-launch web support for various clients and primary university websites. Support may include WordPress updates, updates to functionality or content or simple design updates.
A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.Preferred Qualifications
Successful candidates will be familiar with current web trends and techniques and be interested in learning new skills. They will be team-focused, provide outstanding customer service and be able to balance short and long-term projects.
- Creative troubleshooting skills and the ability to conduct internet research to solve documented technical problems.
- Ability to work with non-technical content providers to train and assist in updating web content for a variety of websites.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, professional, collaborative, innovative and flexible environment.
- Excellent communication skills in face-to-face, Zoom, email, and chat interactions, and the insight to know when each medium is most appropriate
- Experience with Google Analytics/Tag Manager and how to implement across multiple sites.
- Understanding of website usability and accessibility best practices and ability to explain to others, including designers, clients and content editors.
- Experience with WordPress preferred.
- Experience with Cascade Server a plus but not required
- Experience working in a marketing and/or communications environment, and particularly in a university setting is highly desirable.
This is a full time, benefit eligible position.Salary
Salary starts at $47,476, and will be commensurate with experience.Application Deadline
The position will remain open until filled.Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.