Zone Mechanic (Journey)
013172Position Classification Title:
Fac Maint Tech Bldg TradesmanFunctional Title:
Zone Mechanic (Journey)Position Type:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
Facilities Operations has the responsibility of providing a wide range of services to all administrative departments, student programs, and all academic schools and departments. Services include all aspects of corrective and preventive maintenance, operations, grounds maintenance, housekeeping, utility infrastructure maintenance and operations, business operations, safety, regulatory compliance, project management, and renovations. These duties are conducted for a campus consisting of over 100 buildings totaling 6 million gross square feet on over 275 acres.
The recruitment range for this position has been updated to $35,509 – $40,815. All current applicants remain under consideration.Position Summary:
This position performs a variety of recurring and non-recurring tasks/functions, including: carpentry, plumbing, electrical and minor HVAC. This position works in collaboration with other Facilities Operations staff in determining solutions to building repairs and upgrades. This position works with the building occupants in determining specific building maintenance requirements.
This is a mandatory position as defined in the Adverse Weather and Emergency Event policy. Mandatory employees are expected to report to or remain at work during adverse weather and emergency events and, if deemed necessary, to work a different schedule or shift than normally assigned. This position may also be required to participate in the On-Call and Emergency Callback program as outlined in the Facilities Operations Standard Operating Procedure.Minimum Qualifications:
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENCY; OR DEMONSTRATED POSSESSION OF THE COMPETENCIES NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE WORK. OPTIONAL GUIDELINES: EXPERIENCE IN THE TRADE AREAS RELATED TO THE AREA OF ASSIGNMENT MAY BE SUBSTITUTED ON A YEAR-FOR-YEAR BASIS.Additional Required Certifications, Licensures, and Certificates:
Valid driver’s license.Preferred Qualifications:
Candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of documented experience in commercial building maintenance in a university setting.Alternate Option:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to upload a list of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name,
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic, or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
$35,509 - $40,815Org #-Department:
Buildings and Trades - 56407Work Hours of Position:
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, M-FNumber of Months per Year:
Operations and Skilled TradesCareer Banded Title:
Fac Maint Tech Bldg TradesmanOpen Date:
Non-ExemptSalary Grade Equivalency:
Performs Building Corrective MaintenanceEssential Tasks:
• Maintains building lighting per the manufacture’s recommendations.
• Changes bulbs and ballast as needed, including upgrading to electronic ballast.
• Upgrades lighting fixtures to LED lamps.
• Identifies and replaces defective light switches and receptacles.
• Updates schedules for building lighting control systems.
• Replaces damaged floor tiles and cove base.
• Replaces stained and damaged ceiling tiles.
• Repairs plumbing fixtures.
• Repairs and replaces sensor-operated electronic valves including changing batteries.
• Coordinates and works effectively with other Facilities Operations staff and contractors in determining building maintenance needs and repairs.
• Performs additional duties as assigned by supervisor, can include specific tasks for equipment in assigned buildings.
• Completes work orders per Facilities Operations guidelines.
Performs Building Preventive Maintenance (PM)Essential Tasks:
• Performs PM tasks as per equipment manufactures recommended schedule.
• Continually evaluates PM tasks and forwards recommendations to PM coordinator.
• Performs weekly PM inspections of all assigned areas.
• Identifies and records any deficiencies found.
• Initiates corrective work orders for repairs discovered during PM.
• Completes corrective work orders.
• Checks with building contacts to see if they have any building problems in their areas.
Customer ServiceEssential Tasks:
• Talks to building contacts at least once a week to see if they have any building-related problems in their areas.
• Develops a good working relationship with contacts.
• Keeps contacts updated on work in progress and scheduled work including completion dates.
• Checks with contact upon completion of work to see if work was completed to their satisfaction.
• Changes work order status to “finished” in mobile TMA upon completion of work.
• Actively participates in all recommended training including safety and provides recommendations for any additional training as needed.
• Operates equipment, lifts, ladders, tools, and vehicles in a safe manner and notifies supervisor of any potential safety issues.
• Uses provided personal protective equipment (PPE) and requests replacement or additional PPE as required.
• Follows all University and regulatory requirements and practices to ensure a safe working environment.
Knowledge – TechnicalCompetency Description:
Performs a variety of recurring and non-recurring tasks/functions. These tasks/functions may involve related or varying processes to test, renovate, overhaul, replace, and perform preventive maintenance on standard building systems. Provides technical assistance to others by troubleshooting standard facilities maintenance issues and determining their cause. Mentors other technicians.Competency Level:
Problem SolvingCompetency Description:
Identifies facilities-related maintenance problems that require in-depth analysis, and identifies options for solving those problems. Solve unusual facility maintenance problems that require the application of journey-level trades knowledge and determines the most effective and efficient course of action. Gathers and analyzes/interprets information to better understand the nature of the problem. May seek input from subordinates, peers, and/or managers in the decision-making process in order to solve the problem. Evaluates options and chooses appropriate action by considering potential outcomes. Makes sure that problem is appropriately addressed.Competency Level:
Attention to DetailCompetency Description:
Ensures all work meets and/or exceeds applicable codes and standards. Checks and re-checks work prior to, during, and after completion. Ensures that all parts of a project/task are completed. Uses appropriate record-keeping methods.Competency Level:
Coordination – WorkCompetency Description:
Determines project/assignment by breaking them down into tasks. Sets objectives, prioritizes activities and tasks, and adjusts priorities when appropriate. Takes advantage of available resources (personnel, processes, departments, and tools) to complete work efficiently. Anticipates obstacles/roadblocks and prepares alternative plans to ensure timely task accomplishment. Uses time effectively and does not let distractions interfere with completion of the job/project.Competency Level:
Clarifies the purpose and importance of directives, instructions, and messages; presents information in a clear and concise manner. Seeks input, listens, and checks for mutual understanding; asks for and provides clarification as needed. Explains purpose and procedures of facilities maintenance projects in language easily understood by the customer.Competency Level:
Safety and Health ComplianceCompetency Description:
Identifies and resolves potential safety problems and unsafe work practices. Demonstrates to employees and others, safe ways to perform job tasks or the use of equipment. Informs supervisor of unusual safety concerns and makes recommendations for resolution. Determines appropriate protective equipment based on established standards. Regularly assesses site and shop operations for safety.Competency Level:
Client/Customer ServiceCompetency Description:
Identifies options, develops solutions, and takes action when responding to customer requests. Satisfies individual customer requests while balancing multiple priorities. Assesses or checks with customer to ensure solution meets request. Develops effective working relationships with internal/external customers (vendors, subcontractors, etc.) that further the work unit’s goals. Reviews customer requests and seeks clarification as needed.Competency Level:
Hand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Hand Movement-Grasping - F, Holding - F, Finger Dexterity - F, Vision-Skilled Trades - C, Reading - F, Writing - F, Eye-hand coordination - F, Vision-Color Distinction - C, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - O, Vision-Visual inspection - F, Vision-Measuring/Assembling at distance close to eye - O, Hearing - C, Talking - C, Standing - F, Sitting - F, Walking - F, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - C, Lifting-30-60 lbs. - F, Lifting-60-90 lbs. - O, Lifting-90 plus lbs. - R, Pushing/Pulling - F, Climbing-Stairs - F, Climbing-Ladders - F, Bending - F, Squatting - F, Crawling - F, Reaching - FWork Environment:
Driving - Car/Truck - O, Driving - Standar/Automatic - O, Location - Roof - O, Equipment/Machines - Heights - O, Equipment/Machines - Roofs - O, Equipment/Machines - Ladders - O, Equipment/Machines - Step Stools - O, Equipment/Machines - Scaffolds - O, Night/Dark - O, Extreme noise levels - R, Extreme temperatures - O, Inside - F, Outside - F, Ventilation ConditionsDust - O, Ventilation ConditionsFumes - O, Ventilation ConditionsChemicals - R, Ventilation ConditionsGases - R, Exposure to potential Hazardous Conditions - R, Chemical Spills - R, Gas Leaks - R, Acidic Harsh or Oily Substances - R, Electrical Hazards - O, Overtime - O