Office Profile: The Office of Student Success and Vocation is committed to helping students achieve academic success through coaching and programming related to traditional undergraduate advising, tutoring, retention, and persistence to graduation.
ROLE: This role advises a cohort of traditional undergraduate students.
All activities of this position are to make a contribution to the fulfillment of the mission of the university.APPOINTMENT:
- Recommended by the Associate Dean of Student Development
- Approved by the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs
- Report to the Associate Dean of Student Development
- Work closely with the Registrar, Admissions, Academic Advising staff, and Orientation team
- Consult with the Provost, Deans of Schools, Department Chairs, faculty, and others regarding policies and programs that affect student success
- Formulate basic graduation plans for assigned students.
- Create and bi-annually update graduation plans.
- Interpret and record academic placement.
- Regularly communicate with students via email, phone conversations, and one-on-one appointments.
- Advise (with an 90% degree of accuracy) students to make informed decisions regarding choice of major, dropping or adding classes, and satisfactory academic progress.
- Participate in carrying out registration procedures including satisfactory academic progress toward graduation. Evaluate summer school course selection for students
- Responsible for knowledge of academic policies, majors, minors, and programs for current catalog year within the first 6-9 months and prior to meeting with students
- Partner with faculty and departments to best serve the students
- Collaborate with advising team on additional departmental tasks: a) updating checklists for all undergraduate majors; b) mapping courses in major and assessing course schedule conflicts; c) reviewing and editing four-year course grid; d) updating web site information; or e) comparing the four-year grid with class schedule to verify course offerings
- Other duties as assigned
Employees are responsible for complete cooperation with all aspects of the safety and health program, including compliance with all rules and regulations, and for continuously practicing safety while performing their duties.QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Creative aptitude
- Ability to be flexible to changing conditions and needs Ability to work effectively with and through other peopleAbility to work independently
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Proficient in the use of office equipment such as computer, printer, copy machine, etc.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. Skilled in English: spelling, grammar, writing and speakingAbility to work with accuracy and diligence
- Patience and sensitivity to work with students
- Respect for confidentiality of records and information in the Associate Dean's office
- Awareness that behavior and dress should be appropriate for the environment of a Christian university
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; or three to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree preferred.LANGUAGE SKILLS:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret university procedures, general information, educational publications, synodical procedures or governmental regulations Ability to write reports, correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of staff, faculty, administration, students, families and the general public
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
Attitude and Demeanor:
- Exemplify the Christian philosophy of the Concordia University mission statement in all aspects of day-to- day duties and responsibilities Communicate warmth, understanding and helpfulness when interacting with students, staff, faculty and the general public
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all who come into contact with this department
- Exhibit a cheerful, positive, loyal, team-member attitude toward the purposes, programs, policies and goals of the university
- Maintain confidentiality on matters pertaining to this office and the campus as a whole Constantly strive to improve performanceFormulate goals and objectives and expect to be evaluated upon them
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Repetitive motions sitting at a keyboard
- May require rising and sitting repeatedly
- May require climbing stairs and walking indoors or outdoors to various offices on campus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Full Job Description Concordia University - Irvine Cahttps://cui.applicantpro.com