The Finance and Accounting Department is responsible for financial, budget and accounting functions for the university. The Finance and Accounting Department functions under the supervision of the Vice President of Finance/CFO.
Under a high level of supervision, the Staff Accountant handles all aspects of accounts payable including review of submitted check requests and purchase orders, prepares adjustments and reconciliations. The employee monitors payment activity for timely payment communicates with Accounting Manager and budget managers on overdue invoices and expense vouchers. The employee will maintain records and control reports that are accurate and credible while adhering to university policies, as well as prepare accounts payable register and related documents. The Staff Accountant will also handle daily receipting of cash and credit card payments and preparation of bank deposits. The employee will also assist in essential duties and responsibilities of Accounting Office. All activities of this position are to make a contribution to the fulfillment of the mission of the university.
- Recommended by the Accounting Manager, in consultation with the Controller and Vice President of Finance/CFO
- Approved by the Executive Vice President/Provost
- Report to the Accounting Manager for general supervision
- Responsible to the Accounting Manager, and Controller for all job-related functions
- Interact and function cooperatively with all department staff and other campus personnel
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to accomplish each of the below duties satisfactorily:
- For all invoices received in the business office, date stamp and distribute to the appropriate individual.
- Date stamp all vouchers and review to ensure complete information including correct coding and approval.
- Enter vouchers and invoices for payment into accounting system.
- Generate checks for payment based on approved monthly protocol and obtain review by Accounting Manager of all checks and live signatures for checks over $10,000, then distribute checks as designated.
- Prepare Purchase Orders in accordance with University Policy and distribute to the requesting party.
- Prepare Sales Tax Spreadsheet.
- Reconcile Cash Advances.
- Facilitate vendor and staff requests for information, answer inquiries and resolve conflicts.
- Prepare IRS Form 1099 for review and distribution based upon approved annual protocol.
- Provide additional assistance to support staff as required.
- Reconcile accounts payable subsidiary ledger to the general ledger.
- Receipt payments (student and miscellaneous) into the accounting system daily.
- Enter Journal Entries.
- Maintain accounts payable records in accordance with university policy.
- Assist with the identification of Key Accounting Controls and maintain appropriate supporting documentation confirming adherence to the Key Accounting Controls.
- Assist auditors as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of an Bachelor's Degree in Accounting;
- 2+ years support staff experience in accounting for a related industry preferred;
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Familiar with nonprofit concepts, practices and procedures
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Email and the Internet
- Able to work normal business hours
- Able to exercise good judgment
- Good English communication skills
- Able to work well with others
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and meet deadlines/goals
- Able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Ability to use discretion, initiative and exercise good judgment
- Knowledge of non-profit and fund accounting and government funding grants
- Critical thinking
- Ability to be flexible to changing conditions and needs
- Ability to work effectively with and through other people
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret university procedures, general information, financial or educational publications, synodical procedures or governmental regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of staff, faculty, administration, students, families, and the general public
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Attitude and Demeanor:
- Exemplify Christian philosophy of the Concordia University mission statement in all aspects of day-to-day duties and responsibilities assigned to this position
- Communicate warmth, understanding and helpfulness when interacting with students, staff, faculty and the general public
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all who come into contact with this department
- Exhibit a cheerful, positive, loyal, team-member attitude toward the purposes, programs, policies and goals of the university
- Maintain confidentiality on matters pertaining to this office and the campus as a whole
- Work as a team member and work well with others
- Maintain behavior and dress standards appropriate for the environment of a Christian university
- Constantly strive to improve performance
- Be able to organize existing resources to strengthen the quality of Concordia
- Have an open outlook, be future oriented and innovative
- Respect lines of communication
- Assist Concordia in translating Christian principles into day-by-day practice and procedure
Employees are responsible for complete cooperation with all aspects of the safety and health program, including compliance with all rules and regulations, and for continuously practicing safety while performing their duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Repetitive motions using a computer keyboard
- May require rising and sitting repeatedly
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, stoop and reach to utilize 5-drawer file cabinets
- May require climbing stairs and walking indoors or outdoors to various offices on campus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. It includes office equipment, such as phones, computers, copy machines and folding machines.
Full Job Description Concordia University - Irvine Cahttps://cui.applicantpro.com