Associate Director of Development & Alumni Communications
Associate Director of Development & Alumni Communications
Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 16543
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 04-08-2021
Dept Marketing Statement
University Relations supports the teaching, research, and public service of UC Santa Cruz by making and keeping deep, heartfelt connections. Building enduring relationships among students, alumni, faculty, donors, and others is the lifeblood of our work and helps to make UC Santa Cruz a thriving community of knowledge, inquiry, public service, and social mobility.
We are a welcoming group of ambitious and creative professionals pursuing our mission in support of the university's overarching purpose. We take our work seriously because we care - but we don't take ourselves too seriously! The University Relations culture is lively and dynamic; we value collaboration; and our staff is resourceful, enthusiastic, and hard-working.
The division is a fun, friendly, and open place, and our colleagues are supportive of and positive about each other's goals and aspirations. We often jump in to help where needed, rolling up our sleeves to get the job done. We dare to approach challenges as opportunities. We seek creative ways to overcome obstacles, at times with limited resources, while keeping our eye on the objective: helping students achieve their goals, providing crucial public service, and advancing life-changing research and discovery.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. We are looking for candidates who do great work, and we hope they come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We aspire to build an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every qualification for the position but possess transferable skills and experiences.
The Associate Director of Development & Alumni Communications plays an important role in developing the messages and channels we use to communicate with our alumni and donors. Working with colleagues, the AD will tell compelling stories about alumni, donors, and express the impact of philanthropy on the university. The AD will promote key university messages through newsletters, websites, email, social media, and print media.
Serving as our primary development writer, the AD ensures that the case for private support is compelling and inspiring in communications such as our development solicitations, stewardship communications, case materials, and giving websites.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: Minimum Starting Salary: $73,700/annually. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley
Union Representation: None
60% - DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATIONS:
- Lead writer and editor for all development communications, from gift proposals through impact reports, including case statements, pitch decks, gift proposals, agreements and acknowledgements, and impact reports. Researches, conceives and writes persuasive, donor-centered communications and ensures that all development communications are consistent, professional, and persuasive.
- Builds and maintains working knowledge of the university's fundraising objectives.
- Works closely and collaboratively with University Relations leadership, development officers and stewardship staff, deans and faculty, and marketing and communications team.
- Writes and/or edits fundraising appeals, crowdfunding campaigns.
- Produces targeted communications for principal prospects and implements communication plans for special initiatives and populations.
- Develops content that tells the UC Santa Cruz story and lays the foundation for the next comprehensive fundraising campaign. Functions as the lead writer and editor of campaign communications. Serves as the editor and primary author for the Giving and Campaign websites.
30% - ALUMNI COMMUNICATIONS:
- Working with the alumni relations and communications teams, facilitates sharing our compelling alumni stories in all appropriate channels.
- Serves as the editor of alumni communications, ensuring that we provide timely, relevant, engaging, professional, and on-brand content. Reviews newsletters, emails, social media and web content establishing a consistent editorial tone.
- Generates or contributes to alumni social media channels, including alumni profiles, breaking news, and event promotions.
10% - Serves as an editorial consultant for other communications, including event invitations, internal University Relations webpages, etc.
- Edits and proofreads copy for accuracy of names, information, facts and financial data and adherence to university style, brand guidelines, and appropriate grammar and usage.
- Coordinates with internal producers and outside vendors and freelancers for written content, production, photography, video, etc., in order to produce reports, case statements, and multimedia presentations on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- A minimum of four years of relevant professional experience writing experience with specific experience in communications, marketing, or public relations writing skills.
- Exceptional writing abilities, with emphasis on persuasive writing.
- Critical thinking, ability to research and synthesize information quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to compose and edit copy for the web, social media, publications, press releases, and other marketing and development materials. Ability to critique work accurately and professionally and to accept edits and changes from multiple parties.
- Experience with software for desktop publishing, web management, social media, and multimedia.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency