Community Health/ Public Affairs Specialist
The University of Maryland School of Medicine seeks a Community Health/ Public Affairs Specialist professional in its Office of Public Affairs and Communications to develop, plan and coordinate a variety of community health education programs and to provide editorial support for various SOM publications. The ideal candidate will have experience in both of these areas, with strong project management capabilities, effective writing skills across a range of media, and direct experience working with students and members of the local community.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of SOM’s community outreach/health education programs, including curriculum development, faculty interaction, marketing, event and logistical details, survey evaluation, and metrics:
- Mini-Med School
- Mini-Med School for Kids
- Seniors Medical Institute
- Support efforts to expand these programs and integrate public health objectives
- Serve as editorial associate on SOM’s flagship monthly newsletters, SOM News and The Buzz, compiling information about faculty activities, copy editing, liaison with academic departments, centers and institutes.
- Serve as a liaison with the SOM Office of Student Affairs to identify and write about newsworthy student projects and activities.
- Researches, writes, edits, and summarizes public information materials directed to a target audience.
- Organizes and maintains database files on assigned materials.
- Develops relationships and maintains contact with faculty, staff, administration, and students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education: Bachelor's degree in related field such as English, journalism, communications and/or public health (graduate degree preferred).
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in marketing, public relations, communications, or media, public or client relations. Previous experience in the following is preferred:
- Track record of developing and managing successful community service projects
- Experience working with students and the local community
- Experience writing for web and publications
Other: Related experience may be substituted for education Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Strong organizational and communications skills preferred. Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any part of the employment process, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.