Laboratory Technician 1
Search #: 495172
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Laboratory and Research Operations
The Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB) Department at the University of Connecticut is seeking to fill two 12-month Laboratory Technician 1 positions beginning July 16, 2021. The successful candidates will provide technical support for high enrollment MCB undergraduate laboratory courses on the Storrs campus. These positions are part of the Department’s Teaching Laboratory Services Unit which supports the undergraduate laboratory courses. The expected work hours would be Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm which includes one hour for lunch. The incumbent is expected to work flexible work hours depending on departmental course offerings which could include later evening hours.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare and test routine laboratory experiments for all of the MCB undergraduate laboratory courses with an emphasis on the Biochemistry, Genetics, and Microbiology laboratory courses.
- Identify and resolve routine problems with experimental methods and techniques, with periodic recourse to supervisor.
- Assist with the modification of biochemistry, microbiology and genetics laboratory experiments as needed.
- Assist with establishing preparation manuals for the undergraduate laboratory courses including standard operating procedures, experimental check lists, and safety documentation.
- Participate in meetings to plan or evaluate lab experiments; make modifications to incorporate suggestions for improvement.
- Assist with the editing and updating of laboratory manuals for the Biochemistry, Microbiology and Genetics laboratory courses, and keep current on new procedures.
- Prepare solutions, bacterial media, stains, enzymes, reagents, and other lab supplies or apparatus needed to implement the weekly laboratory exercises; Maintain bacterial cultures and stocks; Maintain and collect fruit flies for the genetics laboratory course.
- Assists in maintaining an accurate inventory of chemicals, supplies, bacterial cultures, and equipment.
- Setup and maintain equipment for laboratory classrooms including the inspection and cleaning of equipment after student usage. Assist others in proper and safe use of equipment.
- As needed assist with other duties such as cleaning of laboratory classrooms, cleaning glassware, decontaminating waste, and the preparation of reagents and supplies for all MCB laboratory courses.
- Assist with the enforcement of laboratory safety procedures.
- Ensure cleanliness and proper working order of laboratories. Perform maintenance and minor repair of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Work assigned schedule, which varies by semester to support morning, afternoon and evening classes.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Microbiology or a related field and one to two years of experience, or equivalent education and experience.
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, safety protocols, and standard laboratory procedures in Biochemistry and/or Microbiology. Knowledge of chemical and Biohazardous waste handling and processing.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain laboratory procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time-management, and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Master’s degree in Biochemistry, Microbiology, or a related field.
- Laboratory experience in a high volume academic, or clinical, setting.
- Experience writing and communicating laboratory protocols.
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and expertise.TO APPLYPlease apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495172 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on April 20, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Mar 31 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 20 2021 Eastern Daylight Time