Job Title: Research Aide
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225495
Detail-oriented with strong organizational an prioritization skills
Willingness and ability to work as a team member in a moderately sized lab
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learn
Ability to maintain confidentiality; follow directions; and complete work and to meet deadlinesPreferred Qualifications Experience in a laboratory setting is desirable, but not necessaryResponsibilities Position entails a number of tasks to maintain a clean and tidy lab environment, as well as smooth operational running of lab. The latter involves carrying out tasks under the direct supervision of a Lab Manager. These tasks run the gamut of picking up and delivering research packages to making simple solutions and stocking the laboratory with essential items for experiments to be properly carried out. The successful candidate will be trained in all aspects of this job. The job does not require the actual hands-on running of experiments.The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Picking up lab orders from main office or hospital and notifying the lab of specific deliveries so research experiments are done in a timely manner. Working with administrative office, resolves discrepancies in orders and follows up on incorrect orders. Working with Lab Manager, inventory select high-volume items and forward for ordering.
- Assistance in histology core to clean stainer, processor, scrape paraffin, clean embedding station.
- Maintaining clean lab benches, changing bench paper, dusting and wiping down equipment, checking power status for all equipment, and ensuring critical research items are not left on benches before leaving home.
- Taking glassware for washing downstairs and picking up at end of day. Organizing glassware and chemicals and books on shelves. Cleaning centrifuges and water baths; ensure all small equipment is wiped cleaned daily from inside and out.
- Filling tip boxes and tube containers and taking downstairs for autoclaving/pickup and stocking as appropriate. Filling flasks with broth and plates with agar for autoclaving and stocking. Ensuring all such reagents are dated and kept well-stocked for lab use.
- Organizing freezers and refrigerators, alerting lab members as to things that need discarding (old media, cells, etc) and scraping/thawing -20 and -80 freezers to minimize frost/snow buildup inside. Ensure labels on all refrigerator/freezers are updated.
- Daily tissue culture room maintenance including discard of old media, wiping down benches, checking power for all equipment and ensuring microscope lamp is not left on; inventory and stocking of cell culture room.
- Fill liquid nitrogen dewars on a weekly basis arid provide support for lab members with dry ice and liquid nitrogen in smaller dewars, as needed.
- Be point person for all equipment repairs or scheduled performance maintenance visits and coordinate with lab members; as needed. Contact person for hazardous waste pickups.
- Maintain up-to-date databases of chemicals, oligos, plasmids, antibodies and worksheets, and cell lines among others.
- Perform all other related duties/tasks as assigned.