At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a part time Groundskeeper who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will perform semi-skilled work in the maintenance, care, and modification of Amarillo College grounds and landscapes.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Completion of the 11th Grade.
Preferred: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Required: Six (6) months of experience in grounds maintenance work.
- Six (6) months of experience in grounds maintenance work in a commercial setting.
- Experience with sprinkler systems and in concrete work.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Required: Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify disease or insect damage to plant and turf materials.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions related to the horticultural trade.
- Knowledge of proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects.
- Strong attention to detail, good organizational skills, and ability to work under pressure to meet stringent deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain grounds and landscapes by mowing, seeding, watering, mulching, fertilizing, and applying chemicals to outside plantings, lawns and turf, as well as inside flowers and cuttings used in transplanting. Transplant, prune, trim, and cultivate trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers.
- Inspect plant materials for insects, disease, physical and mechanical damage and identify replacements. Store and care for bulbs and cuttings in the winter season.
- Trim and edge around trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, sidewalks and buildings. Weed, thin and clean flowerbeds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment.
- Set up, adjust, repair, and clean irrigation systems.
- Provide a record of grounds and landscape watering and chemical spraying by maintaining appropriate logs of areas watered, duration of watering, and the application of chemicals, including areas sprayed, amount and type of chemicals used, substances sprayed and reason.
- Perform campus-wide general maintenance and repairs by installing, removing, repairing and maintaining landscape lighting, signs, cables, chains, barricades, gates, bicycle racks, posts, fences, and rock walls as applicable. Repair parking lots, fields, and other grounds areas as applicable.
- Remove unsightly trash and debris from areas by regularly inspecting grounds, drains, manhole covers, etc., for debris. Rake, sweep and bag leaves, debris, dirt and trash from streets, sidewalks, parking lots, courts, and other Amarillo College grounds areas.
- Transport trash to designated central collection points.
- Salt on snow or ice-covered surfaces to assist in preventing accidents resulting from snow or ice covered walkways, parking lots, courts, and other Amarillo College grounds areas.
- Prepare outdoor locations for use by students, staff, visitors, vendors, and the public as needed by campus operations, as applicable.
- Safely operate Amarillo College vehicles by obeying applicable traffic laws. Safely operate all Amarillo College power tools and equipment, following operator instructions.
- Ensure grounds maintenance equipment are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning of tools, equipment and machines within reasonable capabilities.
- Required to demonstrate a strong work ethic with the ability to exercise good judgement and complete assigned paperwork and evaluations in a timely fashion.
- Comply with all college, state and local procedures, rules and regulations. Observe and promote continual improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, frequently required to travel between offices, buildings, and campuses. Requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and maneuver cleaning and landscaping supplies, equipment and other objects up to 30 pounds. Must be able to maneuver heavier objects with assistance of others and/or appropriate equipment. Requires the ability to get down and work on hands and knees, climb and work on ladders, and to stoop, bend, kneel, reach, crouch, and crawl as necessary.
Working Conditions: Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (days, nights, weekends, holidays, varying events, and overtime as necessary and scheduled.) May be required to report to work as scheduled when Amarillo College offices are closed due to severe weather.
Working Environment: This position operates in a predominately-outdoor environment. Standard equipment used in this position are weed-eaters, hedge trimmers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, shovels, saws, pick-up trucks, tractors, street sweepers, carts, push and riding lawn mowers, and various hand-tools. Outdoor work may occur in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions. This position require work with minimal to little supervision. Self-sufficiency is critical.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.