Clinical Research Nurse, RN (Open Rank)
DescriptionSchool of Medicine, The Cancer CenterClinical Research Nurse, RN (Open Rank)Position #748446 – Requisition #20739
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Clinical Research Nurse, RN position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center, headquartered at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado’s only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center
, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. CU Cancer Center’s clinical care sites are UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and Children’s Hospital Colorado are ranked nationally by U.S. News and World Report
. The CU Cancer Center is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network
®, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. CU Cancer Center also is a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network
(ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America’s top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. CU Cancer Center is a consortium
of approximately 300 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three healthcare delivery institutions.The Cancer Clinical Trials Office (CCTO) at the University of Colorado Cancer Center is seeking to employ a full time Clinical Research Nurse (RN)
. Depending on qualifications and department needs, appointments may be made at the RN I, RN II, or RN III level.Nature of Work
As a member of the research team this position is responsible for conducting key aspects of research for Phase I-IV industry-sponsored, co-operative group and or investigator-initiated clinical trials in accordance with the trial protocols, FDA Regulations, and ICH/GCP Guidelines. The person in this position is accountable for meeting study-specific goals and timelines, performing and assisting with clinical tasks related to study-specific tests, procedures, and treatments within scope of practice. In addition to acting as a clinical research coordinator, the RN is also responsible for drug administration, phlebotomy and pharmacokinetic sampling, toxicity checks, and protocol specific tests and procedures specifically related to clinical research studies as well as other clinical duties such as EKGs and Holter monitors as assigned based on appropriate licensure and/or completion of competency documentation and team needs. The incumbent coordinates study subject appointments throughout the study and is responsible for data entry, study subject advocacy, and possible management of studies at the local level. Effective communication with study subjects, investigators, and other team members is essential for this position. This position is responsible for providing outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.Jobs in this career family are responsible for performing a wide range of professional duties to support the university's teaching, research and/or service missions through the provision of health and wellness services, dealing with general, indirect patient care operations and management of healthcare services. Functions include hospital administration, healthcare regulatory compliance, patient relations, operational services, admissions, and medical records. Includes professional assignments in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, counseling and behavioral health, public health, dietetics and nutrition, other allied health fields, alternative medicine and therapies, and related disciplines. Professionals in this career family are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and Development capacity.At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.At the senior level, work is performed fully independently.Examples of Work Performed by the Clinical Research Nurse (all levels)
Assures adherence to all research standards as set forth by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), University of Colorado Hospital, University of Colorado Denver (UCD), National Cancer Institute (NCI) and other pertinent regulatory agencies.Patient Care Responsibilities
- Relays timely information to Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in regard to protocols (e.g. addition of investigators, amendments, serious adverse events, consent form changes, monitoring visits, correspondence, continuing review and study termination reports) to ensure quality study flow and ensure that all governing regulations are being adhered to.
- Obtains medical history and current medications, reviews protocol inclusion/exclusion criteria, and confirms eligibility of subject. Ensures that the informed consent process has occurred, is properly documented and filed as required.
- Recruits and interviews prospective subjects for multiple clinical studies. Familiarizes potential subjects with the details of the study through phone contacts and personal interviews.
- Schedules subject participation in research, coordinating availability of necessary space, laboratory and physician support. Coordinates with pharmacy staff dispensing of study medication under the direction of the Principal Investigator and/or Sub-investigators.
- Assures compliance with protocol details, completes necessary records, and coordinates scheduling of subject and monitoring visits. Accurately transfers source documentation into Case Report Form (CRF) within 10 working days. Is familiar with all records required for each study, reviews records after each visit for completeness and accuracy. Maintains patient clinical research files.
- Submits and/or manages treatment plans through the UCHealth Beacon process and works with assigned staff for completion of the treatment plan.
- Recognizes adverse events and serious events and promptly notifies appropriate parties; e.g. Principal Investigator, Study Sponsor, FDA, Data Safety and Monitoring Committee (DSMC), Regulatory Affairs Coordinator.
- Serves as a contact person for ongoing clinical research studies and meets with representatives from sponsoring pharmaceutical firms or in-house staff for initial orientation to studies and for review of study records.
- Participates in DSMC audits
Examples of Work Performed by Clinical Research Nurse (Level II)
- Collaborates with hospital staff to ensure tests and procedures required by clinical protocols are performed and documented. These include, but are not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen processing, EKG’s, drug administration, Infusions, pharmacokinetic sampling, toxicity checks, and protocol specific tests and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform the following specific tests and procedures specifically related to the research study: a) consenting, b) electrocardiogram, c) blood pressure, pulse, height, weight, pulse oximetry, and temperature measurements, d) phlebotomy and specimen processing and shipping
- Collaborates with the clinical team in developing all aspects of patient care.
- Assesses patient’s pertinent health history.
- Develops protocol specific source documents (e.g. data collection tools, study visit checklists, pharmacokinetic sample collection worksheets).
- Assists team manager and/or financial team by processing bills and/or answering billing questions related to procedure performed for subjects enrolled to clinical trials.
- Rotates through department PK (blood draw) schedule as necessary
- Develop and review trial specific treatment (protocol)orders for accuracy and completeness prior to implementation in electronic medical record
Examples of Work Performed by Clinical Research Nurse (Level III)
- Serves as primary coordinator for clinical trials
- May be called upon for other department specific RN duties as needed
- Teach, precept, and mentor new employees, as directed by team manager
- Develop policy, procedure, patient education materials, and/or study tools as they relate to conduct of clinical research
Salary and Benefits:
- Serves on internal CCTO committee
- May be called upon for other department specific RN duties as needed
- Teach, precept, and mentor new employees, as directed by team manager
- Works on process improvement projects within the department
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established to begin at $65,094.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
QualificationsMinimum QualificationsClinical Research Nurse - RN I Level
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.One (1) year of RN experience.Clinical Research Nurse - RN II Level
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.Two (2) years of medical/surgical or oncology nursing experience.One (1) year of clinical research experience.Clinical Research Nurse - RN III Level
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.Three (3) years of medical/surgical or oncology nursing experience.Two (2) years of clinical research experience.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATION – ALL LEVELS
Candidate must have an active RN license Candidate must have an active Colorado nursing license or ability to obtain their Colorado license prior to start date.Please include a copy of your current RN license with your submission. Condition of Employment – Clinical Research Nurse Level III Only
Additional certification is required for RN III at time of application (one of the below):
- OCN – Oncology Certified Nurse (obtained through ONS)
- CCRP – Certified Clinical Research Professional (obtained through SoCRA)
- CCRC – Certified Clinical Research Coordinator (obtained through ACRP)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)Oncology research experienceKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of common pharmaceutical terminology.Attention to Detail – Ability to interpret and master complex research protocol information; work is accurate and details are not overlooked.
- Communication Skills - Good command of the English language, and ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Interpersonal Skills – Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all level; interacts with people in a friendly, open, honest manner; models a commitment to teamwork; demonstrates respect for the opinions of others; and maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Customer Service – Demonstrates a commitment to excellent customer service, providing internal and external customers with information or assistance in resolving problems.
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifies complex problems and reviews related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Adaptability – Adapts quickly to change and is able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines in a calm, organized manner; is open to new ideas and methods.
- Planning and Organizing – Sets priorities, anticipates obstacles when planning ahead, manages time effectively to accomplish tasks.
- Technical Skills – Adept at utilizing technology to effectively communicate and complete work (e.g. MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel); ability to learn new technology.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Job Category:
Health CarePrimary Location:
Mar 31, 2021Unposting Date:
Share this job with your network: