Lead Skilled Craft Technician - Paint
UNT System Overview:
Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. We are growing with the DFW region, enrolling a record 47,000+ students across our system and awarding nearly 12,000 degrees each year.Posting Title:
Lead Skilled Craft Technician - PaintDepartment:
DentonFull Time/Part Time:
Salary commensurate with experienceDepartment Summary:
The Maintenance division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Electrical Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University’s physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
As one of the nation’s largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of approximately 38,000 students. UNT is a student-focused Tier One Public Research University with 12 colleges and schools offering 101 bachelors, 82 masters, and 38 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there’s something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America’s 100 Best College Buys® for 21 consecutive years, the state’s most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a “Best in the West” university. Livability.com named Denton the 9th Best College Town in the nation.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions FPDC; Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world-class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities, you may visit our website at: https://facilities.unt.edu/about/maintenance . University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.Position Overview:
This position is responsible for advanced skilled craftwork that involves specialized maintenance work. Duties include installation, maintenance, repair, and service of building systems and requires advanced skills in a primary craft and working knowledge of other crafts.
• Leads, performs with, and gives directions to skilled or unskilled workers and maintenance workers; supervises and coordinates activities in conjunction with and in the absence of the immediate supervisor and manages projects and work load assignments as required.
• Studies blueprints, sketches, or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated; prepares, cuts and shapes materials, verifying trueness of structure with plumb bob and carpenter’s level.
• Completes specialized maintenance work including installing partitions and cabinet work, laying flooring, fitting and installing window frames, doors and hardware, and applying paint, varnish or lacquer to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings, equipment and other structures.
• Identifies, safely handles and appropriately disposes of paints, stains, preparatory and undercoating materials and other hazardous materials; cleans and maintains equipment and work area.
• Erects various types of scaffolding, staging, ladders and planks to reach work area surfaces.
• Operates compressors, striping machines, sandblasters, spray equipment and other small power equipment.
• Reports needed equipment and supplies in order to maintain proper amounts of inventory to perform jobs in a timely manner.
• This position is considered to be essential personnel, and may require working overtime, which could include nights and weekends as needed.
High school diploma/GED equivalent and eight years of experience in related maintenance/repair field. Substitution of education for experience allowed.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of and skill in use of standard tools, equipment, materials, methods, and practices of general maintenance task; knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of general maintenance; knowledge of blueprints, schematics, and working drawings.
• Ability to use basic shop math applications.
• Ability to locate and identify problems in appropriate building system or equipment and to plan and execute necessary repairs.
• Physical ability to perform moderately heavy physical work which includes lifting and crawling, and to remain outdoors in inclement weather.
• Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Applying paint, varnish or lacquer to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings.
Ability to work with Microsoft office.
Possession of a valid Texas driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment; ability to drive a vehicle and maintain coverage under University liability insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.Work Schedule:
Monday – Thursday
6:30 am – 5:00 pm
This is a security sensitive position.EEO Statement:
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.Classification Title:
Lead Skilled Craft TechnicianPhysical Requirements:
Carrying, Cleaning, Climbing, Crawling, Driving, Kneeling, Lifting up to 50 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Squatting, Stooping, Bending, Standing, Twisting, Walking, Writing, Grasp, Talk or Hear, Ability to communicatePosting Number:
S1758PSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.Quicklink for Posting: