HPCC System Administrator | Information Technologist II
Job descriptionJob no: 697787
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 13
Major Administrative Unit / College: Research And Innovation
Department: Institute For Cyber Enabled Research 10059322
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Information Technology, Union
HPCC System AdministratorPosition Summary
Michigan State University’s Institute for Cyber-Enabled Research is seeking an experienced HPC or Linux system architect or administrator (Information Technologist II) who will work with the ICER team to develop, support and optimize ICER’s High Performance Computing (HPC) systems using some of the technologies and skills described in the Desired Qualifications section. ICER’s HPC systems consist of over 1000 nodes, 50,000 cores, 400 GPUs, and 9 PB of storage and supports researchers in many different scientific domains across the campus and the state.
- participate in the design, development, operation, and support of High Performance Computing systems on campus;
- design and support modern development and operations process and methodologies for researchers and internal ICER needs,
- work with other units on campus to create innovative solutions for University researchers,
- manage complex projects that serve the entire university community as well as MSU’s external partners,
- consult with users to ensure the best use of the University’s computational resources,
- participate in regional and national cyber infrastructure communities,
- and other duties as assigned.
This position includes an emergency on-call support rotation (compensated) with the rest of the systems team.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related information technology field and three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in Linux-based research computing or enterprise environments; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Desired Qualifications
Six years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility in research computing environments or complex Linux environments. Experience with HPC-specific technologies is preferred, but not required.
Experience with technologies including:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, or derivatives and Linux services and technologies like dnsmasq, systemd, LDAP, PAM, sssd, OpenSSH, cgroups.
- Parallel, network attached storage (Lustre, NFS, Spectrum Scale, Ceph)
- Scripting languages (including Bash, Python, or Perl)
- Virtualization (ESXi or KVM/libvirt), containerization (Docker or Singularity), configuration management and automation (tools like xCAT, Puppet, kickstart) and orchestration (Kubernetes, docker-compose, CloudFormation, Terraform.)
- High performance networking technologies (Ethernet and Infiniband) and hardware (Mellanox and Juniper),
- Log aggregation and monitoring (Elastic Stack [ELK], Prometheus)
- Web development (Django, Sinatra, React, or Ruby)
- Batch job queueing and scheduling systems (Slurm),
- Version control (git) and Continuous Integration (CI) or Continuous Deployment (CD)
- Cloud technologies (AWS S3, EC2, Lambda, ParallelCluster, Fargate; or Azure or GCP equivalents)
- Building, troubleshooting, and supporting scientific software.
The ideal client would have a history of demonstrated problem solving ability, teamwork, and adaptability to change; a commitment to mission-focused innovation; and continuous learning for self-improvement.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Resume and cover letterWork Hours
STANDARD 8-5Bidding eligibility ends on 4/6/2021, at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Mar 31, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 13, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time